Tips And Tricks For Preventing The Flu This Holiday Season

Emily Massage and Keela Delves

The winter is right around the corner and everyone is getting excited for the holidays. Although it is the time of year most known for joy and happiness, it is also flu season.

Many students fall victim to the vicious virus, causing them to miss school, work, and extracurricular activities.

Here are five simple ways to prevent this ruthless cycle from continuing year after year.

Get a Flu Shot

This is the easiest way to prevent you from getting sick. If you are interested in getting a flu shot, make sure you do so before flu season by scheduling a doctor’s appointment early or visiting your local pharmacy.

Stay Home When You Are Sick

Though it can be tough to miss school when you have tests and work to do, it is crucial in stopping the spread of illnesses. Take a few days to relax and focus on getting better because if you don’t give your body a chance to recover, the longer your sickness will stick around.

Cover Your Mouth and Nose When You Cough or Sneeze

When coughing or sneezing in public, make sure to cough into your elbow and not your hand. If you cough into your hand, then everything else you touch will be infected by the germs. Everytime you sneeze or blow your nose, wash your hands or use hand sanitizer to prevent further spreading.

Try Flu Antiviral Medicine

Antiviral medicines work in your body to fight off the flu virus and prevent it from multiplying. It is best to use antiviral medicines within two days of the onset of symptoms to reduce symptoms and decrease the duration of time that you are sick. Your healthcare provider must prescribe you a prescription to this medicine since it is not sold- over- the- counter. It is important to note that antiviral medicine is not a substitute for the flu vaccine.

Boost Your Immune System

Though medicine is the most effective way to prevent the flu, keeping a healthy immune system can be just as beneficial. Reducing stress, sleeping seven to nine hours a night, and exercising regularly can all improve your bodies defense system. Eating foods that are rich in Vitamin C such as oranges, grapefruit, kiwi, strawberries, and watermelon can all give your immune system the boost it may need. Immune cells have active vitamin C transporter molecules embedded in their membranes that actively pump the vitamin into the cells when more vitamin C is required,” so it’s important to eat and drink lots of vitamin C when you are ailing because if there’s more inflammation and infection in the body, the more vitamin C it needs.

Flu season can be grueling, but it doesn’t have to be if you take preventative measures. Following these simple instructions can keep you healthy and happy for the upcoming holiday season.

This infographic illustrates more ways in which you can prevent getting the flu. These five ways have been effective in preventing the annual flu. (Kaiser Permanente Thrive)

About the Writer
Keela Delves, Reporter

Keela Delves is a news reporter for the Broadcaster. She is interested in photography. She enjoys traveling, music, and hanging out with friends.