Winners of Pennsylvania’s Primary

Ethan Sniderman, Reporter

The Democrats and Republicans nominated each of their party’s candidate for both local and federal government positions on Tuesday, May 15th. Derry Township is in Pennsylvania’s 10th Congressional District for the United States House of Representatives and the 106th District for the Pennsylvania House of Representatives.

Governor Tom Wolf (D) is currently running for reelection as the Governor of Pennsylvania. He will be challenged by the Republican nomination for governor, Scott Wagner. Wagner beat gubernatorial hopeful Paul Mango for his party’s nomination.

In the United States Senate race, incumbent Bob Casey (D) will run against the new Republican nomination Lou Barletta for the Senate seat. Barletta won the primary in a landslide against his opponent Jim Christina (R), claiming 61.57% of his party’s votes.

Closer to home, George Scott won the Democratic primary against three other Democratic hopefuls: Shavonnia Corbin-Johnson, Dr. Eric Ding, and Alan Howe. Scott will face current representative Scott Perry in the November general election. Whichever candidate wins will be representing the newly formed Pennsylvania 10th District, which now includes all of Derry Township.

For the Pennsylvania House of Representatives race, Democrat Jill Linta took the nomination, beating Robert E. Meyers III by a slim margin of only 171 votes. Linta will face off against incumbent Tom Mehaffie in November.

The open general election will be held on November 6th, 2018.

About the Writer
Ethan Sniderman, Reporter

Ethan Sniderman is a reporter for the Broadcaster. He is a junior at Hershey High School and has been a part of the Broadcaster for two years. Ethan also enjoys politics, DIY projects, and is a Junior Volunteer Firefighter.