Broadcaster Wraps Second Year Online In Style

Back to Article
Back to Article

The members of the 2016-17 Broadcaster pose for a picture before Community Day on October 7, 2016.  The Broadcaster staff published over 20 stories about the sessions on the second annual Community Day (Broadcaster/ Robert Sterner).

The members of the 2016-17 Broadcaster pose for a picture before Community Day on October 7, 2016. The Broadcaster staff published over 20 stories about the sessions on the second annual Community Day (Broadcaster/ Robert Sterner).

Robert Sterner, Advisor

Two years ago The Broadcaster began a new chapter.  We moved from a print-centric publication to a digital-first one.  It has been a difficult but rewarding transition.

When I was asked to take over The Broadcaster from Mr. Brown who had guided the publication for several years very capably, my primary goal was to get the students to write more.  I didn’t want to bog the publication process down with long stretches of working on page layout.

More writing also means more reporting for our readers.

Now in the first two years online The Broadcaster has published 789 stories.  That’s an average of 32 per month including summers.

We still have more to do—infographics, video, VR—and the story of The Broadcaster will never be complete.  But I’d like to offer my congratulations to the staff.  You have honored the history and traditions of excellence by your work and dedication.

In the fall another group of editors and reporters will take up the challenge.

I can’t wait to see what the future holds for The Broadcaster.

About the Writer
Robert Sterner, Advisor

Robert Sterner is the seventeenth advisor of The Broadcaster.  He has been teaching at Hershey High School for 15 years. Sterner is also an assistant...