Nashville School Shooting: What We Know So Far

Allyson Lin, Copy Editor

Here is what we know so far on the Nashville elementary school shooting. Three 9-year-old children and three adults were killed on Monday, March 27th, at a private Christian elementary school in Nashville, Tennessee, according to CNN

Two of the victims were school employees. One was the head of the school, and another a custodian. These are the victims: Evelyn Dieckhaus, Hallie Scruggs, and William Kinney, all aged 9; Cynthia Peak, 61, Mike Hill, 61; and Katherine Koonce, 60, who was the head of school.  

The shooter, Audrey Hale, is a 28-year-old Nashville resident who was once a student and was killed by gunfire by police. 

The police say this was targeted and involved planning and is the deadliest US school shooting in almost a year. The shooter had detailed maps of the school, including entry points to the building. According to NBC, Hale had no previous criminal record before firing at The Covenant School.

“There’s some belief that there was some resentment for having to go to that school,” Metropolitan Nashville Police Chief John Drake told Lester Holt of NBC News.

Drake also said that Hale identified as transgender and that the former student allegedly left behind writings that are being studied by local and federal law enforcement. 

The writings indicated that the school wasn’t the only target. There could’ve been shooting at multiple locations. 

Hale came to school with two AR weapons and a handgun. Two of the three were legally obtained. Hale was then confronted by officers, and two of them open-fired, killing her. 

57 people have died in 28 mass shootings in March alone, with 133 injured, according to Axios. There have been 130 mass shootings thus far in 2023 which is more than one mass shooting per day.