Coach Mark Painter Returns to Coaching HHS Football Team

Joshua Gearhart, Reporter

Hershey High School teacher Mark Painter has been rehired as the Trojans head football coach.

Following the departure of head coach Frank Isenberg, Derry Township School District filled the void at the head coaching position by rehiring previous head coach Mark Painter.

In three seasons under Isenberg, the Trojans went 4-26 and missed the playoffs each year.

During Painter’s tenure as the Trojans head coach from 2009 to 2013, he lead the Trojans to the PIAA District 3 playoffs in all five seasons, according to GoDutchmen.com.

Painter returns to the head coaching position after a gap of 4 years. Painter said, “It’s an honor to be back. I’m very excited to work with the current players and try to do some good things for our school.”

Since 2013, Painter has served as an offensive line coach at Lebanon Valley College.

Sophomore and varsity football player Nathan Lopez said, “Mr. Painter is a smart guy and super intelligent. He always knows what he’s talking about. He’s fun. He’s a hard worker, and he never gives up and believes in people.”

Painter believes that turning the program around will require change — changing the culture of the team. He plans on changing the team’s playbook for both offense and defense, and changing the mantra adding as well.

HHS Athletic Director Scott Govern said he feels good about hiring Painter.  “It’s not all about the X’s and O’s but about character as well as intelligence,” said Govern, “That’s really where it all starts.”

Painter said, “We are gonna look totally different on both the offensive and the defensive sides of football. Things will definitely be different.  We have got to match that to our kids and their personalities to try to be as successful as we can be.”

The Trojans will open the 2019 season a home game against the Palmyra Cougars on August 23, 2019 at 7:00 PM.