Auburn Gymnast Dislocates Both her Knees

Abbey Rogers and Abbey Massage

Auburn University senior Samantha Cerio ended her gymnastics career by dislocating both of her knees in a gymnastics meet as the team was trying to secure a spot for the NCAA regional finals.

Cerio was anchoring on the floor event when she dislocated both her knees.. Cerio was doing a front handspring to a front double tuck with a blind landing, meaning she couldn’t see where she was going to land.

Auburn was ranked number 13 in the nation and made it to the championship round, with a finishing score of 197.075. The team was knocked out the next day, according to CBS News.

After 18 years of gymnastics, Cerio had to “hang up the grips” and say goodbye to the sport she loved. Cerio said she didn’t want her career to end this way. She was 22 years old, so the  doctors made her retire since the recovery would take too long to make a comeback.

Cerio’s injury was what some named the “worst sports related injury” sport experts have ever seen, according to The Washington Post.

Auburn gymnast, Samantha Cerio, is competing at the NCAA Regionals gymnastics meet on April 8th, 2018. Cerio suffered a horrific injuries to both legs on Friday night. (Michael Wade/Icon Sportswire/AP)

About the Writers
Abbey Rogers, Copy Editor

Abbey Rogers is a copy editor for The Broadcaster. She is interested in photography. She enjoys iced coffee, skiing, and playing softball.

Abbey Massage, Reporter

Abbey Massage is a news reporter for the Hershey High School  Broadcaster. This is her first year writing for the Broadcaster. Massage enjoys diving,...