Ansel Elgort to Star in Upcoming Movie, “The Great High School Imposter”

Anna Callahan, Reporter

Ansel Elgort, an American actor best known for starring in Baby Driver and The Fault In Our Stars is set to star in an upcoming movie “The Great High School Imposter”. The movie will be  about a Ukrainian man who illegally enrolled in a high school in America.

The film is being produced by Participant Media and Condé Nast Entertainment. The source material for this production is a GQ Article, written by Daniel Riley in 2018.

According to Variety, “Mike Makowsky is adapting the script, [and] Jeremy Steckler of Condé Nast Entertainment is producing. Makowsky, Elgort, and Emily Gerson Saines will be executive producers. Robert Kessel and Jonathan King are overseeing for Participant.”

In 2012, a 23-year-old Ukrainian man named Artur Samarin enrolled in Harrisburg High School as a freshman by the name of Asher Potts.

Samarin originally came to the US through a program that allowed students from a foreign university to work summer service jobs in America.

Samarin, who posed as a high school freshman, was five years older than his listed age. He made an agreement with a childless couple to pretend to be younger so they could adopt him and he could stay in the US.

When authorities were finally called to their house, his adoptive parents told authorities that they’d adopted him not knowing his true age and said that he had become dark and violent.

Samarin was charged with illegal immigration, violating the terms of visa, stealing a public education, and a list of other charges. After being found guilty, he was moved to a federal prison, where he resided for 14 months before being flown back to Ukraine.

Now, a little less than a year after the publishing of the GQ article that follows the story and Samarin’s journey back to Ukraine, the story has caught the attention of Hollywood.

About the Writer
Anna Callahan, Reporter

Anna Callahan is a news reporter for the Broadcaster.  This is her first year writing for The Broadcaster. She enjoys reading, traveling, baking, and...