DTSD Athletic Director Govern loves sports, Hershey

Akif Undar, Reporter

Scott Govern, Athletic Director at Derry Township School District pictured sitting in his office. Govern who says he is happy with his current job and plans to retire from Hershey. (Broadcaster/Akif Undar)

He might be the biggest cheerleader of athletics at Hershey High School.

Scott Govern is the Athletic Director at Hershey High School. Govern, who is married and has three children, began his tenure at Derry Township School District in December, 2015. Before he came to Hershey was the Athletic Director at Spring Grove Area School District for 3 years, and Athletic Director of Boiling Springs School District for 13 years.

Govern attended Phillipsburg High School in New Jersey. Where was a three sport athlete while playing football, basketball, and baseball. Out of all three Govern said, “football was my sport.” He was dedicated and very interested in all three sports he played, but for him football stood out.

High school football was a big deal for Govern and the rest of the community. At their home games “there was many ten or fifteen thousand people at our games,” Govern said. Govern had high hopes for himself in football, and his team lost only 3 games in his 4 years of playing.

After High School, Govern attended Lock Haven University on a football scholarship. He graduated with a degree in Social Work.

He coached football at the collegiate level for Gettysburg College, Glassboro State College, and Lock Haven University. Govern was later inducted into the Lock Haven University Football Hall of Fame in 2013. As for other coaching experience, he has coached cross country and track & field at the high school and junior high school levels.

Growing up, Scott always wanted to be a professional football player. His dream actually happened, Govern played a year in a professional Canadian football league.

Govern said, “ I needed a fallback option.” That’s when he became interested in being an athletic director.

“I enjoy working with kids and love athletics,” said Govern.

Govern would go on to earn a Masters Degree from Western Maryland College with a degree in Athletic Administration.

In order to become an athletic according to Govern is “having a degree in Athletic Administration or something along those lines, as well as coaching experience.”

Govern is already thinking about future and upcoming years. For the upcoming summer he is going to re-do the weight to make it new and improved, also to make it more convenient for athletes and others who intend to use the weight room.

Govern is also planning on honoring athletes who played 3 sports this year. He wants to honor those who spent and dedicated so much of their time and effort into athletics as well as academics.

Govern said, “ I am getting professionals to come and talk to the athletes.”  He believes it will give another perspective to the athletes as well as motivate the athletes to succeed.

Govern also attends almost all of the home games for all of the sports unless there is a conflict with a personal event. Govern also attends every single postseason game unless it conflicts with another game.

Scott doesn’t have any plans after Hershey and said, “I think I’m just going to retire here.”