March For Our Lives March in Washington D.C.

Claire Strucko, Reporter

The March For Our Lives nationwide march took place this on Saturday,March 26. The turnout huge with hundreds of thousands of students and families marching together down Pennsylvania Avenue in the nation’s capital.

Survivors like 18 year old Emma Gonzalez from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School (MSDHS) in Florida, spoke to the D.C. crowd in favor of gun control. Gonzalez read off the names of all 17 victims from the shooting and stood for minutes in silence staring into the crowd to signify the amount of time it took for shooter, Nicholas Cruz, to murder 17 innocent people.

Hershey High School sophomore, Olivia Bratton, attended the march in D.C. on the 24th. She claims that it was the most empowering moment of her life. (Broadcaster/ Bratton)

Another student from MSDHS, Samantha Fuentes, survived bullets to her thigh and face. While speaking in front of thousands of people, she vomited and continued her speech with, “ I just threw up on international television, and it feels great!” She ended her speech, asking the crowd to join her in singing ‘Happy Birthday’ to one of the 17 victims.

Martin Luther King Jr.’s 9-year-old granddaughter, Yolanda Renee King, proudly stood hand in hand with Parkland survivor, Jaclyn Corin, and announced to the crowd, “I have a dream that enough is enough…” She concluded her speech by leading a chant, “Spread the word. Have you heard? All across the nation. We are going to be a great generation.”

Celebrities like Kim Kardashian, Kanye West, Paul McCartney, and Amy Schumer attended the march while famous singers such as Demi Lovato, Miley Cyrus, and Ariana Grande performed for the crowd.

Over 800 protests were planned in every state and on every continent except for Antarctica, according to the New York Times. To sign the petition to enforce stricter gun control laws visit https://marchforourlivespetition.com/.