Malala Yousafzai Teams with Apple to Support Girls’Education

Olivia Bratton, Copy Editor

Malala Yousafzai, the inspiring advocate for equal rights, is teaming with Apple’s cooperation to make an even bigger impact on social injustice.

Apple has teamed with the Malala Fund as the organization’s first laureate partner in hopes of expanding support for girls’ education worldwide. The fund, established by Yousafzai and her father Ziauddin, aspires to empower girls worldwide and advocate for their equal opportunity; their goal is to provide every girl with the right to 12 years of free, safe, and quality education.

Apple plans on helping the Malala Fund expand by assisting with technology and research into policy changes that will help the fund’s impact reach a wider range of women in need. Apple CEO Tim Cook will also join the fund’s leadership council.

“We believe that education is a great equalising force, and we share Malala Fund’s commitment to give every girl an opportunity to go to school,” said Cook, according to Apple. “We are honoured to help her extend the important work she is doing to empower girls around the world.” The company’s CEO also said that Malala’s courageousness makes her one of the most inspiring figures of her time.

On October 9 2012, Yousafzai was shot by the Taliban because of her public criticism of social injustice under the occupying forces, specifically the right for girls to receive equal education. Since her recovery, she has used her platform to continue to advocate for girls’ access to education. Yousafzai has become a vocal campaigner, written a book about her experience, acquired a place to study at the University of Oxford in England, and she even became the youngest Nobel Peace Prize winner in history at age 17.

“My dream is for every girl to choose her own future,” said Yousafzai.

She also has high hopes that Apple will be a great new addition to her mission. “Through both their innovations and philanthropy, Apple has helped educate and empower people around the world. I am grateful that Apple knows the value of investing in girls and is joining the Malala Fund in the fight to ensure all girls can learn and lead without fear.”  

According to Malala’s blog, with an estimated 130 million girls around the world out of secondary school, the importance of the fund’s work is becoming increasingly essential.

With Apple’s support, the Malala Fund is expected to double the amount of grants offered by the organization’s Gulmakai Network. which supports local activists that are fighting to combat threats to girls’ education such as poverty, gender discrimination, and violent conflict. The network currently operates in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Lebanon, Turkey, and Nigeria, but Apple plans to extend funding programs to India and Latin America, with the initial goal of spreading secondary education opportunities to more than 100,000 girls in areas not already supported.

Yousafzai and Cook speak with Syrian refugees about their life stories. The duo met in Beirut, Lebanon to review the terms for their new partnership. (The Malala Fund)