Toys For Tots at Hershey gathers toys

Elizabeth Newman, Layout Editor

It’s the most wonderful time of the year…to donate to kids in need!

Cocoa Packs is pairing with Toys For Tots this holiday season to give kids in the Derry Township School District an exciting Christmas. Gift donations are being collected all throughout the community to help bring joy to every child’s Christmas.

Toys For Tots bins are placed all around Hershey, including the HHS main office. Toys For Tots will end their collection on December 4, 2017. (Broadcaster/Elizabeth Newman)

Toys For Tots is an organization run by the Unites States Marine Corps Reserve that provides children with toys each year during the holiday season. This organization was founded in 1947 by Major Bill Hendricks and collected 5,000 toys within that year. According to the Toys For Tots Foundation, the organization has only gotten bigger. In the past year, Toys For Tots collected and distributed 18 million toys to 7 million children. The Hershey community is one of many that are trying to help make that number grow this year.

Hershey High School (HHS) junior Katie Cocco is very involved with this project at the high school. Cocco got involved through her internship at Cocoa Packs. “I think it’s really important to help others,” said Cocco.

Cocco’s belief is why she is so dedicated to this project. According to Cocco, she believes it isn’t fair for kids that grow up in the same environment to not have the same opportunities such as a merry Christmas.

Toys For Tots will be collecting donations until December 4. They are looking for gifts for both girls and boys of all ages. All donations can be placed in the boxes around the school. Once all donations have been collected, packaging begins. The Cocoa Packs team along with many volunteers will wrap and decorate all of the gifts. Finally, the project comes full circle on December 7 when the kids come in to pick up their gift that they will unwrap on Christmas morning.

Cocco stressed that anyone can and should get involved. All they must do is place their gift donation in the donation boxes. Boxes are in the high school, middle school, the public library, and all district buildings.

Another way to get involved is by volunteering their time and efforts to help wrap and decorate the donated gifts. If anyone is interested in volunteering, they can can contact Cocco or Mrs. Drexler, the founder and CEO of the Cocoa Packs organization.

In addition to helping people, Cocco also enjoys a little friendly competition. She made a  competition between Hershey’s Middle School and High School. Whichever school collects the most gifts will win. Cocco believes that the high school will win.

HHS students can help the high school win the competition if they get involved and donate.

“Every time someone gets involved, it does make an impact,” said Cocco.