HHS installs new water bottle filling stations

Halle Burk, Layout Manager

Junior Emily Liesch refills her water bottle. The new station is one of two that detects motion and automatically begins filling. (Broadcaster/Halle Burk)

Filling up your water bottles just got a whole lot more convenient.

Hershey High School, specifically the student council, has installed two new water bottle filling stations around the school. One of these stations is located outside of the nurse’s office, and the other can be found directly outside of the school cafeteria. The purpose of these new installments are to provide students with a simple way to stay hydrated throughout the day.

Molly Reeves, a student council representative, was heavily involved in the introduction of these stations. Reeves, along with Barbara Clouser, HHS Spanish teacher and student council teacher advisor, desired a convenient way to fill up their water bottles and then be on their way.

“I had heard that some people wanted them last year, and as a student council representative, I thought it was something that we could accomplish,” Reeves said.

She went on to say that the student council even got it approved by Dr. Reiman, but because of his departure from HHS, the project was on standby.

“Now that we have a permanent principal, we were able to get the project moved forward and eventually installed!” Reeves said.

The project was paid for via a “Trojan Grant” which is a form that requests money for school projects.  The list price for each filling station is $1599.

Reeves said, “I’ve heard people walking by saying that they’re cool, and the people who had told me that they wanted them from the start were really happy to see them set up.”

The student council is pleased with the stations, and hopes to do similar projects in the future.