Hershey Trojans football wins first game of season

Anna Levin, Reporter

The Hershey Trojans defeated the Spring Grove Rockets 25-12 in the first football game of the season on September 1, 2017.

Ryan Nerino, Hershey High School senior and Trojans quarterback, started the game off strong by running the ball in for a touchdown with seven minutes left in the first quarter.

Ryan Nerino, HHS Senior and Trojans quarterback, prepares to make a pass during the first game of the season. Nerino has been the varsity quarterback for the last two years. (Anna Levin/The Broadcaster)

Ian Devore tackled a Spring Grove player in the end zone for a scored a safety with 3:50 left in the first quarter. The Rockets did not score any points in the first quarter.

Joey Corado, freshman and Trojans kicker, kicked a field goal with 6:47 left in the second quarter.

Spring Grove’s Braden Brandt scored their first touchdown of the game on a punt return.

Late in the third quarter, HHS Senior Chase Wallace scored a touchdown after catching a pass from Nerino. The Trojans failed to convert the extra point.

Spring Grove’s Connor Reed scored their final touchdown. The Rockets attempted a two-point conversion, but fell short.

HHS Sophomore Anthony Zimmerman put the game out of reach with a final rushing touchdown.  Corado added the extra point.

Looking forward two weeks to the match up with Milton Hershey, HHS Senior Jack Shea said, “It’s going to be a good year. We’re taking the Bean home.”