Free College Faces Roadblocks in the United States

The entrance of the main building of the Humboldt University. Berlin, August 9, 2006. (AP Photo/Jan Bauer)

Brooke Daniels, Reporter

The term free college in the United States is so far removed from discussion that it is almost an outlawed statement.

Although several countries have already embraced the idea of free higher education, the U.S. has not. Most believe America is far behind other countries in terms of affordability of an education. Others also believe that the US is not reinforcing the correct professions by having students lean more toward vocational professions rather than Ph.Ds. In addition, discussion has arisen following the 2016 election in regards to the possibility of free college, causing much debate on the subject.

In several European countries that provide cheap tertiary education, those who are looking to attain a Ph.D pay a much lower tuition cost than comparable education in the US. This incentivizes people to study more complex and diverse topics that Americans are not so greatly encouraged to pursue. Instead of suppressing the idea of a doctorate in a subject, students have great motivation to achieve the highest level.   

To become a doctor in the United States comes at a hefty price with at least $207,866 from medical school alone. In Sweden, the cost of a Ph.D is completely free. This allows for more students to become doctors, teachers, and administrators. A wide variety and large amount of these sorts of people are exactly what the United States workforce are in need of.

Several large states have experienced a decrease in the amount of teachers entering training programs; the numbers are grim among some of the country’s largest producers of new teachers. In California, enrollment is down 53 percent over the past five years. Also, in North Carolina, enrollment is down 20 percent in three years.

Focusing on the amount of teachers in the workforce, a new poll released shows that only 64% of voters care about the depleting numbers of educators. Although this rising issue will affect many in the future, voters now do not prioritize it as a campaign issue.

In addition, President Donald Trump promised expanded competition among schools while on the campaign trail.

“Competition is why I’m very much in favor of school choice. Let schools compete for kids. I guarantee that if you forced schools to get better or close because parents didn’t want to enroll their kids there, they would get better. Those schools that weren’t good enough to attract students would close, and that’s a good thing,” Trump commented on the issue.

An article from 2014 on the Wall Street Journal begs an answer to the question government officials tend to avoid, “Should parents be paying for their child’s education?”

Although many lawmakers say that free college is impossible with our national debt, former presidential campaign runner Bernie Sanders argues that people should not be paying to go to college. Throughout Sander’s campaign his free college idea received support, especially from younger people. Many are initially drawn toward the idea of tertiary education being free or very cheap to help relieve student debt; however, analysts and educators say it’s just not possible.

The Washington Post wrote an article regarding why Sanders plan is implausible. “The political obstacles to rewriting the federal role in funding state-supported universities are formidable, and the social case for preferring public institutions to private nonprofit schools is not at all clear,” wrote Robert Archibald from the college of William and Mary.

For all those hoping to someday have the ability to attend college for little to no money, it may be impossible with the obstacles standing in the way of the United States. For college to ever be free, students need to pursue teaching professions.