Hershey Ice Hockey Team Crushes Cedar Crest

Elizabeth Newman, Reporter

Hershey junior Patrick Larkin faces off against a Cedar Crest player in a face off. Hershey beat Cedar Crest 9-1 on Wednesday, January 18, 2017. (Broadcaster/Mallory Drayer)

Hershey Ice Hockey team defeated Cedar Crest at Klick Lewis Arena with a score of 9-1 on Wednesday, January 18, 2017.

The team started the game strong with five goals in the first period.

Two of the five goals belonged to Hershey High sophomore Caden Freer; his first goal was assisted by HHS freshman Karson Kehler and the second was unassisted. Hershey’s other goals were scored by, senior Zane Elliott, and juniors Pat Devine and Sammy Steele. Cedar Crest went scoreless in the first period.

The second period was slower for the Hershey Trojans, with only one goal coming from freshman Ian McDonald and assisted by senior Joseph Mishler. Cedar Crest still remained scoreless at the end of the second period.

HHS junior Sammy Steele skates down the ice with the puck towards Cedar Crest’s goal. Steele had one goal in the game on Wednesday, January 18, 2017. (Broadcaster/Mallory Drayer)

The third period began with a goal from Cedar Crest. Hershey answered that goal with three more goals. The first
goal from Hershey in the third period was from Elliot and assisted by Freer and McDonald. Freer scored the next goal which completed a hat trick for him for the night. HHS junior Patrick Larkin had the final goal of the game which was assisted by Elliot.

The game ended with a score of 9-1 adding another win to the team’s 12-1 record, now making it 13-1.

The game was dedicated to Coach Justin Yingling who passed away on January 1, 2017.

“We played with passion and pride, and we played for Justin. There’s not much to complain about tonight,” said head coach Jarrod Hill.

The Trojans face Cumberland Valley next on Friday, January 20, 2017 at Twin Ponds West.