HHS Alum Goes on to Successful College Career

Mallory Drayer, Reporter

Most people think of Saturdays as a chance to sleep in, or a chance to watch some college football. But one Hershey High School alumni is not watching the screen; he’s on the screen.

Saturday, September 3rd, Saint Francis played at the University of Montana for their opening game. Drayer had two touchdown passes and threw for 184 yards that game. (Broadcaster/Mallory Drayer)

College senior Zack Drayer is the starting quarterback and team captain for Saint Francis University football team. Drayer, a Hershey High School alumni from the class of 2013, has been putting up big numbers for the Saint Francis (SFU)  Red Flash and leading his team to victory as the champions of the Northeast Conference (NEC) for the first time in school history.

The past two seasons have been the first time SFU has had a back to back winning record since 1991 and 1992, when SFU football was still a Division three program. When the program made the transition to Division one in 1993, the team struggled to have a winning season.

But the Red Flash can’t say that anymore.

The 2016 Saint Francis football team won the NEC, putting them in the playoffs. Saint Francis shares the championship with Duquesne University Dukes, because both teams have only one loss in conference play. Since the Red Flash beat the Dukes during their head to head matchup on October 21st, SFU advances to the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) playoffs.

Leading the Flash to the championship is Drayer.

This year alone, Drayer has thrown for 2,357 yards and 21 touchdown passes. He’s had 44 rushing yards, and six rushing touchdowns.

Throughout his career, he has had 52 touchdowns passes, and passed for 5,794 yards with a 57% completion rate. Drayer has tied the school record for the most touchdown passes in a single season, and he is 10 touchdown passes away from breaking the school record for most touchdown passes in a career.

Not only has Drayer broken school records for quarterback but also as a punter. As a freshman, Drayer broke the record for most punting yards and most punts in a season. He punted for 1,435 yards so far this season in the first nine games. Drayer was added to the College Football Performance Awards (CFPA) performer of the year watchlist, as well as offensive player of the week in the NEC conference after their win over Central Connecticut State.

Drayer experienced the team’s first conference loss this season on Saturday, November 19th, against the Wagner College Seahawks in Staten Island, New York. The final score 31-24 and the loss put Saint Francis in the 24 ranked spot going into playoffs, where they will compete against the number nine ranked team, Villanova on Saturday, November 26.

The winner of the game will play the number eight ranked team, South Dakota State, at Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium in South Dakota.

“We are very excited to play our school’s first playoff game and we hope to continue our successful season and carry it into the playoffs,” said Drayer. “The team is developing into playoff contender every year.”