New Coffee Bar Arrives in HHS Cafeteria

Lynn Dang, Feature Writer

In the HHS cafeteria, evolution is inevitable.

New coffee bar “Evolution” is set to unveil on November 29, 2016. Because of student demand, Hershey High School is partnering with Hershey Entertainment and Resorts to sell coffee from the Cocoa Beanery. Greg Hummel, Director of Food Services, started working on the bar in late winter into early spring of 2016. Students can now access coffee from the cafeteria during breakfast, study halls, and lunch.

Flyers for Evolution appear around HHS on November 22, 2016. This new bar was born from student input. (Broadcaster/ Lynn Dang)

Evolution was named to reflect how the cafeteria continuously changes to reflect the student interests. It is a new beverage area replacing an old salad bar.

“We wanted a name that would really kind of explain the process. It’s going to evolve,” said Hummel.

Hummel first received the idea of a coffee bar directly from students through conversations. Then, HHS principal Dr. Dale Reimann emailed a survey to all HHS students last school year.

“Evolution was born through student input,” said Hummel.

The bar took “well over eight months” to prepare. Hummel and his team had to sort through legal agreements and coffee bar purchases.

Although many students get Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks coffee in the morning, complicated legal challenges with franchising a large corporation like Starbucks led to partnership with Hershey Entertainment and Resorts.

The coffee still has a name brand, which Hummel knows is important to students. A variety of flavors will be offered as well.

“We’ll have flavors of the day, flavors of the week, so you can upgrade your cup of coffee for the holiday,” said Hummel.

Other than a coffee, the food court will periodically roll out new foods. These include bagels from the Bagel Lovers Cafe in Harrisburg and sweets such as homemade cinnamon rolls, fresh baked donuts, scones, and chocolate croissants. New foods will add variety throughout the school year, according to Hummel.

Student input is crucial to getting desired cafeteria foods and beverages. More input is better for both students and staff because “we can zero in on what you [students] want,” said Hummel. He wants the food court to always be changing and interest students.

Currently there is no set food group to aid the decision process of types of foods and beverages. Hummel and his team are exploring ways to get more input from students, possibly through technology.

Bringing in or getting rid of cafeteria items depends on popularity. “Because of the difficulty of having an established group, we have to base what we offer and don’t offer on what students buy,” said Hummel, “Your voice drives what we do.”

If you have any food or beverage suggestions, feedback, questions, or concerns, email [email protected]!