Superhero Club brings trivia, games, and debates to HHS

From left to right, Nick Biser, Matt Davis, and Kellen Olsen introduce the Superhero club. Davis is the President, Olsen was a member last year, and Biser is a new member. (Broadcaster/Sam Allery)

Sam Allery, Reporter

Comic-Con has come to HHS.

Specifically, it has come to room E220. After only one meeting, the Superhero Club gave their audience Kahoot, games and debates. After drastically changing the presentation style from last year, the audience has become more involved and the response showed that the audience was pleased. After Community Day concludes, the club will hold sessions every other Friday in room E220.

The session began with a 26 question Kahoot. Since the Kahoot was said to be rather challenging, there was also a sheet of paper with easier questions, though everyone chose the Kahoot instead. The Kahoot began with a video of a Spider-Man fight and the questions ranged from movies to comics. The recurring themes of the questions included famous comic book milestones, like the Death of Superman, movie and comic book comparisons, like Captain America: Civil War, and the future of superhero movies, like who the villain is in the next Justice League movie.

Sam Carlson, a sophomore at Hershey High School, won the game. He got 23 of the 26 questions correct. The final two questions were poll questions. The 25th question asked what major comic book company the audience preferred, Marvel or DC (Detective Comics). Both Marvel and DC received 7 votes in the poll. The final question asked who would join the club, and 9 out of 14 said yes. The Kahoot left 20 minutes in the session for games and debates.

The next half of the session was all about games and debates. In the first session, the club mostly focused on games. The primary game was a Superhero themed version of the game Headbandz, with custom made cards with superhero and villain names that have been featured in popular films. Some of the chosen cards were Lady Deathstrike, Deadpool, Alexander pierce, and Nightcrawler. Some of the players figured out their card quickly, but others struggle the entire time.

The second session included some debates. The first topic was the same as the 25th Kahoot session, what is better Marvel or DC. The first comment was in favor of DC, and said that Marvel’s stories were terrible. But the next comment said that the terrible stories were good, which started a debate. Superhero club president said “It’s better to interact with your peers than to give the same presentation four times in a row.”

“The session went well; we were able to convince people to join our club, which is the most important thing.” said Kellen Olsen, HHS sophomore.