HCYA Joins Students from Alternate Lives

Moxie Thompson, Reporter

Two schools. Two lifestyles. Two Hershey’s. One breakfast.

Milton Hershey Students and Hershey High students gather in the HHS LGI on September 19, 2016. They met during breakfast to discuss events to join the two schools. (Moxie Thompson/Broadcaster)

Milton Hershey School students and faculty met with Hershey High School students and faculty for a breakfast on September 20, 2016 in the HHS LGI. Nine MHS students and ten HHS students joined around a Panera breakfast. The students and administrators discussed plans for the school club, HCYA  – Hershey Community Youth Alliance. Erin Ives, advisor of HCYA, and Dale Reimann, HHS principal, were two of the faculty present.

The club joins students from both the Hershey and Milton Hershey high schools. It plans events and activities that aim to unite the students of both schools.

The breakfast consisted of discussions in upcoming events, such as the student exchanges between the two schools, a possible winter formal, exchanges during each school’s Mini Thons, a talent show, the Crop Walk, the Leadership Conference, community service events, and MHS’s Backstage Haunted House.

One of the upcoming school-wide events is the student exchange. It is a two-day activity in which a Hershey student is paired with a Milton Hershey student. The Hershey student goes to school with the Milton Hershey student on the first day of the exchange, and the Milton Hershey Student goes to school with the Hershey student on the second day.

There are two sessions of exchange days a year; one in the fall and one in the spring. The fall event is planned for November 2nd and 3rd, while the spring event’s dates are undetermined.