New Physics Teacher Mr. Stauffer Relates to Students

Emily Tubbs, Reporter/Layout

One junior course changed his life.

Hershey High School welcomes a new physics teacher, Nicholas Stauffer, to the Trojan family. Stauffer’s first day of teaching at HHS was July 29th, 2016.

Stauffer grew up in Denver, Pennsylvania and attended Cocalico High School. During Stauffer’s junior year of high school, he took a physics course that sparked his interest in the subject. For Stauffer, physics came easy to him because he was more of a science and math type of learner.

After high school, Stauffer wanted to pursue his passion for physics. Stauffer knew he did not want an occupation that required a stationary office doing physics, so he decided to teach the subject instead. After high school, Stauffer attended Millersville University to major in physics and continue his education in teaching.

Through his experience of teaching students of all ages, Stauffer truly enjoys teaching eleventh graders because they are the most relatable and more mature than the younger students. Stauffer currently teaches students in the College Prep course.

One thing that Stauffer admires about HHS is the people.

“All of the staff members at Hershey High School are always willing to lend a hand,” said Stauffer.

Stauffer was impressed on how many opportunities the students and teachers have through HHS’ resources. Stauffer thinks resources such as The SmartBoard, laptops, iPads, and classroom supplies provided for his students catalyze learning.

HHS Junior Lauren Kroutch is currently enrolled in Stauffer’s CP physics class. Kroutch looks for an engaging science teacher that will help her understand the complex physics concepts.

During class, Stauffer tries to keep a balance between educational and fun. Stauffer keeps the mood light by playing music for his students.

In Stauffer’s free time, he coaches the ninth grade football team. As a sports fan himself, Stauffer plans to support Hershey athletics by attending the sports games. Looking into the future of the school year, Stauffer is interested in helping to chaperone Mini-THON and school dances.
Stauffer came to HHS looking for just a job, and instead found a new family of faculty and students.

On September 7th, 2016, Mr. Stauffer poses for a quick picture during his lunch break at Hershey High School. Stauffer worked on his lesson plans for the upcoming week. (Broadcaster/Emily Tubbs)
On September 7th, 2016, Mr. Stauffer poses for a quick picture during his lunch break at Hershey High School. Stauffer worked on his lesson plans for the upcoming week.
(Broadcaster/Emily Tubbs)