8th Annual Walk for Clean Water raises $19,027.01

Christina Lengle, Sports Editor

Hershey High School hosted the 8th annual Walk for Clean Water on Sunday, April 16th, 2023.

The 3.75 mile walk event is run by HHS Key Club and was held at 12pm.

The Walk for Clean Water is associated with The Thirst Project, which is a nonprofit organization that raises money to help the people in the eSwatini Kingdom who lack access to clean water. Various people in the kingdom have to walk miles and miles on a daily basis to even reach unsanitary water. 

Hershey Key Club is determined to end the global water crisis. 

In order to drill a well using local contractors, Hershey Key Club needed to raise $12,000.

Their goal this year was to raise $20,000. Admissions to the walk was $25 per walker, and children 12 and under were free. Tickets included a shirt and Race Pack with snacks for the Walk. The Walk took place around the Hershey school campuses and was directed by members to cheer walkers on. Key Club members provided food for purchase towards the Walk total, such as hamburgers, baked goods, chips, and more. Additionally, raffles prizes such as gift cards to Primantis, Jersey Mike coupons, and Starbucks cups were available to be bid upon. 

The total for this year was a step up from last year’s total. The club raised $19,027.01. The money raised is enough to cover the cost of one well, and half of another well. The club members at their next meeting, will pick the community in the eSwatini Kingdom to have the water well be built in.