Hershey Boys Basketball Falls to Mechanicsburg

Matthew DeDonatis attempts a 3-pointer in front of the Mechanicsburg student section. DeDonatis led Hershey with 24 points in the loss to the Wildcats. (Broadcaster/Joey Owsley)

Joey Owsley, Reporter

The Hershey High School basketball team lost 68-55 at home against Mechanicburg on Tuesday night.

Marcus Sweeney rises above Mechanicsburg defenders in the 4th quarter. Sweeney, the Trojans’ starting point guard, managed 9 points in the loss. (Broadcaster/Joey Owsley)

After the Trojans took an early 11 point lead, Mechanicsburg made a comeback in the second quarter, and never trailed after the half.

Logan Richards rises for a three-point attempt. Richards specializes in the long ball, but could not hit enough against Mechanicsburg, as the Trojans fell by 13 points. (Broadcaster/Joey Owsley)

Spencer Nolan led the way for the Wildcats, scoring a career high 33 points, 18 of which came from 3-pointers. Sophomore point guard Josh Smith added 22 from the away team.

Matthew DeDonatis draws contact from Seth Brubaker while rising for a layup. DeDonatis was Hershey’s leading scorer with 24 points, but could not carry the Trojans to victory, falling 68-55 at home. (Broadcaster/Joey Owsley)

Matthew DeDonatis led the Trojans with 24 points.

Mechanicsburg’s Spencer Nolan looks to find a pass while being defended by Isaiah Danner. Nolan led all scorers with a career-high 33 points in the winning effort. (Broadcaster/Joey Owsley)

Hershey drops to 4-3 on the season, while Mechanicsburg moves to 7-3, and will host Mifflin County on Friday. The Trojans will play their next game on Friday night at Red Land.

Josh Smith celebrates making a three-pointer. Smith’s 22 points helped Mechanicsburg defeat Hershey on the road, 68-55. (Broadcaster/Joey Owsley)
Matthew DeDonatis attempts an open three-pointer, much to the chagrin of Mechanicsburg head coach Mike Gaffey. DeDonatis’s sharpshooting ability has carried the Trojans’ offense in many games this season, but his 24 points were not sufficient against the Wildcats. (Broadcaster/Joey Owsley)
Cam Sweeney handles the ball while looking for a teammate to progress the play. The freshman has made an impact off the bench this season, the only underclassman to make a major contribution. (Broadcaster/Joey Owsley)
Hershey’s Isaiah Danner takes a peek at the basket before attempting a layup. Danner’s contributions were not enough though, as the Trojans fell by 13. (Broadcaster/Joey Owsley)
Hershey’s Eamon Callahan rises to contest the jump ball. Both Hershey (4-3) and Mechanicsburg (7-3) entered the game with winning records. (Broadcaster/Joey Owsley)