Hershey High School Considers Adding Vape Detectors

Pictured is the HALO vape detector. Hershey High School is exploring plans to install this device in the restrooms. (HALO Smart Sensor)

Jessica Wang and Allison Acosta

Principal Lindsey Schmidt has confirmed that the HALO smart sensor, a vape detector, is being considered for installation in Hershey High School’s bathrooms and locker rooms.

“We obviously know that students vape in the bathroom. In order to solve a problem we have to address the fact that it exists,” said Schmidt.

The use of e-cigarettes or more commonly known as vapes, has become increasingly popular among adults and especially teens these past few years.

The HALO Smart Sensor, developed by IPVideo Corporations and created by David Antar, is an IoT device that captures comprehensive health, safety, and vaping awareness. IoT, which stands for “Internet of Things,” devices have the ability to wirelessly connect to a network and transmit data.

This device also has more than a dozen sensors that act as vape detectors, air quality monitors, and complete security devices for privacy areas where someone does not want to use a camera or microphone. 

In addition to its abilities, HALO provides building health monitoring, indoor air quality monitoring, THC detection, gunshot detection, emergency key word, audible, light/occupancy, chemical, VOC, and tamper alerting as well as temperature, humidity, and pressure alerting.

HALO alerts by sending an event message to the security systems, sending an email or text message to designated personnel, turning on its status light, and playing a pre-recorded message to sound an alarm through its built-in speaker. The alarms can be audible or can send a notification depending on how the administrator has it set.

The HALO device is currently installed in more than 1,000 schools across the country, mainly in Oregon and Texas. Many schools have utilized the COVID-19 relief fund to pay for it. It costs around $40,000, with each one being around $1,200.

The original plan for HALO was created in 2014, but it was officially released in 2019. It is a winner of over 60 awards across many industries.

The possible installation of HALO Smart Sensors at Hershey High School will help combat drug use, vaping use, and ensure the safety of students.