Hershey High School goes virtual due to COVID-19 cases

This graphic demonstrates to the public the most effective ways to prevent infection through the use of double masking. Double masking recommendations come as increased variants of the virus emerge. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)

Robert Sterner, Advisor

Derry Township School District notified families Hershey High School Monday afternoon would be moving to a fully virtual schedule for March 30, 2021 due to COVID-19 cases.  Only one instructional day will be impacted, according to a press release by the district.

DTSD indicated that the PA Department of Health has notified DTSD “at least six individuals who either work at or attend Hershey High School have tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 14 days.

All extracurriculars—such as sports and clubs—scheduled to take place today through Friday April 2 are postponed.  The following is a list of impacted sports competitions:

Monday

Girls Lacrosse vs. Cocalico

Boys Tennis @ Cumberland Valley

Baseball @ Bishop McDevitt

Softball @ Bishop McDevitt

Boys Lacrosse @ Northern

Tuesday

Track and Field @ Cedar Cliff

Girls Lacrosse vs. Northern

Boys Tennis @ Palmyra

Boys Volleyball @ Cedar Cliff

No competitions were scheduled for Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Thursday 

Boys Lacrosse vs Central Dauphin

Girls Lacrosse @ Central Dauphin

Boys Tennis @ Dallastown

Baseball @ Elizabethtown

The DTSD Health and Safety Plan and the Attestation to the PA Department of Education requires the building to be closed for 3-7 calendar days.  Should more cases be reported the district may be forced to close for longer.

Teachers and students have been fully virtual previously, notably from just prior to Thanksgiving through the middle of January this year.

Classes will resume April 6 following the scheduled Spring Recess.