Senator Bernie Sanders Drops Out of the 2020 Presidential Race

Tanner Waxman, Reporter

Senator Bernie Sanders officially dropped out of the 2020 presidential election on Wednesday, April 8th. This leaves former Vice President Joe Biden as the presumptive nominee for the democratic party.

U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders speaking with the media at the 2019 Iowa Federation of Labor Convention hosted by the AFL-CIO at the Prairie Meadows Hotel in Altoona, Iowa. Sanders announced on April 8, 2020 he is suspending his campaign. (Gage Skidmore/CC BY-SA 2.0)

This isn’t Sanders first time running for president; in 2016 he also ran for the democratic party’s nominee, though he did not win.

Sanders is a senator from Vermont with liberalist policies that were popular amongst younger voters. Some of his more well-known campaign points include Medicaid for all, guaranteeing tuition and debt-free public college while also cancelling all student loan debt for Americans, and creating a green new deal to combat climate change. His campaign site goes in depth on what additional changes he would have made.

Sanders’ run was very up and down as he took several large states; it seemed possible that Sanders could win, but Biden began leading in votes, according to Politico

Sanders’ final live event was held on March 9th. He interacted through virtual town halls and live streams based on the COVID-19 epidemic almost exclusively.

With Sanders dropping from the race, the 2020 presidential contest is set to be between current President Donald Trump and former Vice President Biden.