Popular Shows to Binge Watch During Quarantine

Ashlyn Weidman, Social Media Editor

With an abundant amount of freetime comes an abundant amount of boredom. The United States is only a couple weeks into quarantine, but many Americans are already getting antsey from having nothing to do. Luckily, platforms like Netflix, Hulu, Apple TV, and Disney plus are here to help! Below is a list of some of the most popular shows that many are binge watching at the moment.  

Tiger King Murder, Mayhem, and Madness

At the moment Tiger King is the #1 Netflix show in the U.S. This 7 episode series takes the viewer into the world of Joe Exotic, a man who owned zoos with exotic cats. He also was charged with animal abuse and the murder of Carole Baskin. CNN entertainment described the show as “the kind of juicy morsel that’s almost impossible to resist.”

All American

This show is being raved about all over the social media platform Tik Tok, and it is the 3rd most popular Netflix show in the U.S right now. Originally on CW, All American is a true story based on the life of football player Spencer Paysinger. The New York Times describes the show as “A hybrid of The O.C. and Friday Night Lights…” The show has been receiving a lot of attention since season 2 came out on March 17th.

Love is Blind

This experiment show is perfect for anyone who is a fan of The Bachelor and Love Island! The Netflix Original displays a social experiment with a group of  30 single men and women. The contestants first have to blind date for less than a week and propose before they can see each other face to face for the first time. The show is testing whether an emotional connection can overpower a physical one, and after they see their fiance, they have 4 weeks to decide if they will actually get married. “I watched every episode. To Netflix’s credit, LIB is an addictive reality show, but it’s also one that will leave you feeling worse than when you started.” said Entertainment Weekly

Little Fires Everywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWGkX8ClhBI

Starring Reese Witherspoon, Kerry Washington, and Joshua Jackson, many could assume this show would be good! Since the show only started on March 18th, there are only 5 episodes released so far on Hulu. New ones air every Wednesday which gives watchers something to look forward to during quarantine. The show takes viewers into the life of Elena Richardson, a bubbly mom from the suburbs, who hires Mia Warren, a single mother who’s always on the move, to work in her house. The viewer goes through watching their lives and wondering who is the one who burns the Richardsons house down. To find out who did it, catch up on the show’s 5 episodes on Hulu.

Looking for Alaska

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWNlrgNNVm4

Based on The Michael L. Printz Award winning book, this TV series is very popular for teens. Many John Green fans were excited when this show came out in October of 2019 because John Green is known for his novels becoming great movies. However, this novel is different. It has become a TV series starring Charlie Plummer, Kristine Froseth, Denny Love, etc. IMDb describes the show’s plot as “A new student arrives at a boarding school and meets a young girl named Alaska…But through his time with her, he finds out that her life isn’t as perfect as he thought.” IMDb also rated the show 8.2/10 stars.

One Tree Hill

This show may not be new, but it is loved by anyone who has watched it! When Netflix removed the show, fans were devastated; many decided to switch over to it’s new platform, Hulu. One Tree Hill has sports, drama, romance, and much more. This is the perfect show for people who really want to binge watch a show for a while since it’s 9 seasons long with around 20 episodes per season. Victoria Gregoire reviewed the show and said, “After years of the show ending, I can honestly say I can rewatch it over and over again. I just wish they could have made the series longer or recreate it…”

The Morning Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA7D4_qU9jo

Anyone who witnessed the Matt Lauer sexuall harrassment scandal in 2017 needs to watch this show! With the amazing cast of Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, and Steve Carell, they gave America a TV show that looks into the lives of the people that most of society wakes up to… news station anchors. By the title it’s evident that the show is based off of The Today Show and their rivals, Good Morning America. Forbes said “Viewers love watching the absurdity of this expensive drama, and it’s paying off. When the series premiers season 2, audiences and critics will definitely be watching.” 

Little America

This is a new original show that was released on January 17th 2020 with 8 episodes that are 30 minutes long. Apple TV describes the show as “…an anthology series that observes the funny, romantic, heartfelt, inspiring, and surprising stories of immigrants in America.” 

Common Sense Media gave the show 5/5 stars and said, “By making us feel the weight of these stories and care about the people in them, Little America shines.” The website also recommends the show for anyone over the age of 12 due to some of the plot points in the show. Overall, anyone looking for a show that includes historical significance should watch.

High School Musical:The Musical:The Series

Christi Carras, Los Angeles Times writer, recommended High School Musical: The Musical: The Series  since “After all, we’re all in this coronavirus shut-in together.” This is a light hearted show for all ages that takes place in the iconic East High, High School from the original High School Musical movies. The viewer watches as a new music teacher enters East High and decides the school needs to do their own rendition of High School Musical. The road towards opening night is full of drama, romance, new friendships, and much more. To find out how the wildcats performance goes in the Disney plus original, watch the series. 

The Mandalorian

Star Wars fans freaked out over this Disney Plus original series. Vox  said “The Mandalorian, Disney+’s big-ticket original series, set in the Star Wars universe, isn’t bad.” Since the show was released in November of 2019, many have been watching it, but the show has received mixed reviews. Each viewer has had different emotions about the show because the Star Wars fan base is large.