DTSD Announces October Athletes of the Month

Olivia Bratton, Editor in Chief

The Derry Township School District has nominated the athletes of the month for October. Senior Brendon Shea and Junior Amanda Gerrish were recognized as the male and female recipients of this award. 

Shea is honored for his contribution to the boys cross country team along with his individual success this season. Shea ran at the District III race at Big Spring High School. Shea said, “I felt like I executed the race perfectly, and the result was ideal.” He placed as the eighth finisher. 

As his last race of the season, he competed in the state meet for Hershey. He placed 43rd with a time of 17:06.

Shea has been running cross country for the past 6 years and joined the track team this past season. He highlights his experience at Shippensburg’s cross country camp and his team’s Mid-Penn victory as the favorite memories of his career.

Shea plans on advancing his academic and athletic career at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University to run division two cross country and track and field.

Brendon Shea is a senior captain of the boys cross country team. His best performance of the season was a time of 16:16. (Broadcaster/Robert Sterner)

Amanda Gerrish, the female athlete of the month, is a junior recognized for her accomplishments on the girls golf team.

This season, she helped lead her team to a first place victory in the Mid-Penn and the District, allowing them to advance and place second in the State match. Apart from her team contributions, Gerrish individually placed third in the Mid-Penn, first in the District and tenth in the State match.

Gerrish recalls her fondest golf memory as her performance at this years District match. Although she was trailing behind her opponents on the 15th hole, she was able to come back and win the match by three points. She also highlights the moment that her team celebrated with her on the 18th hole after her victory. 

Gerrish hopes to continue her golf career at the next level and major in business. 

Amanda Gerrish has been competing in tournament golf for five years. She placed in the Mid-Penn, District, and State match. (Photo by Michele Gerrish)