Jason Rippon Named Hershey Trojans Hockey Captain

Julia Cream and Caroline Corcoran

As a new season of Trojan Hockey begins, senior captain Jason Rippon prepares for the upcoming season and reflects on his past years playing Hershey Hockey.

Rippon has been participating in the Hershey hockey program since his freshman year. Throughout the years he said he has made some amazing friends and his teammates “have become family.”

Rippon said throughout his high school hockey career he has always looked up to and respected his older teammates. He hopes to keep that going as he plays the role of captain this year.

Junior, Quinn Landry said, “Jason is a natural born leader that everyone can talk to, and he also has the skills on the ice to help the team perfrom to our best ability.”

Rippon’s love for the sport began long before he started playing for the high school team. Ever since he was five, Rippon has played and participated in the sport. This is very noticeable when looking at the recent record for Trojan Hockey. Rippon has made 9 of the goals scored so far this season. 

The season has only begun and Rippon has already been nominated at CPIHL’s player of the week. Not only is he a phenomenal player, but he has the spirit to get his teammates united and ready for a game so that everyone can perform their best on the ice. He says that it is important that the team bonds not only on the ice but outside of the sport so that they can be closer as a team and form a stronger bond that will show during games.

The team has racked up an impressive string of victories already: Manheim Township 10-0, Susquehanna 10-0, Central Dauphin 5-4, and Cumberland Valley 9-0. 

Against Manheim, Rippon scored two goals. In the face off with Susquehanna, Rippon scored a total of four goals. Against Central Dauphin, Rippon scored two goals, and in their most recent game against CV Rippon scored one goal. 

Not only do they have the skills on the ice, but they have a great team connection. Chemistry is an important aspect for success in every team sport. To keep the team on track Rippon said, “it is still important to get the team together to do something fun every once in awhile to build a stronger bond.”

One of the alternate senior captains, Cole Buchanan said, “I’ve been playing with Jason for many years, and he always has a positive attitude on and off of the ice.”

With Rippon as Captain the Trojans have had a great start to their season, despite losing some of their best players from last year. The team lost four seniors but has gained six new players. Rippon said that this season shows a lot of promise because the team “is closer together than last year and has taken this season more seriously.”

Rippon said that his favorite memory throughout his hockey career was playing with his team at the Wells Fargo Center last season. Starting off as a freshman Rippon made some great friends that have now graduated and many that continue to play with him on the ice. 

Captain Jason Rippon poses for a picture on January 27th, 2019. Rippon was chosen to play on the National team along with two of his other teammates. (Central Pennsylvania Interscholastic Hockey League)