Hershey Boys Soccer Win District Championships

Leah Koppenhaver, Reporter

The Hershey High School Boys Soccer defeated the Lower Dauphin Falcons 2-1 on November 1, 2018, in the PIAA District 3 championship game.

Senior captain Brendan Kerr sealed the win for the Trojans with a free kick goal in the final minute of the second half.

After a scoreless first half, the Falcons were first to get on the board, with a goal coming from Josiah Ramirez in the 51st minute of the game, putting the Falcons in the lead.

A minute later, Hershey’s Alexi King struck back scoring a goal for the Trojans to tie the game.

With an opportunity for the Trojans to score, the Falcon’s Colton Smith came from the goal where he stepped out the box and made illegal contact with Kerr. Smith was in the game following an injury to Lower Dauphin’s starting goalkeeper, Axel Grater, early in the game.

The foul resulted in a free kick for the Trojans with 53 seconds remaining in regulation play.

Kerr came up big for The Trojans scoring to seal the victory.

“Scoring was more relief than anything, I knew my team had worked so hard for this. I’m just glad I was able to step up and score the goal to help us come out on top,” said Kerr.

Entering the game as fourth seed, The Trojans were ecstatic to upset the number one seed and rivals.

The Falcons are two time state champions, and were looking to capture their fourth consecutive district title.

“It was a perfect ending, we knew we had something to prove to earn respect,” said Kerr.

The Trojans finished regular season 16-3-1, and continued their postseason run first round of states on November 6. The Trojans faced Franklin Towne at Landis Field and won 3-0.

The Falcons will now play the loser of the Trojans’ first round matchup, Franklin Towne. If Lower Dauphin wins, there is a possibility they will face Hershey once again.

“It’s possible we see them again in the State Final, so that will be fun,”  said Kerr. “If we don’t see them again, this was exactly the way I wanted to leave my senior season.”

Hershey Boys Soccer celebrating with coach Andrew Maya after receiving the district championship trophy. The boys will take the field again first round of states Thursday, November 6. (Submitted by Brendan Kerr)