Editorial: Schools Should Teach More About the Environment

Emma Taylor, Reporter

Cars, factories, and farms. Most people see these things around all of the time and don’t think about it. However they should because it is hurting our environment. All of those things are causing pollution in many different ways.

US schools should teach more about the environment.

Learning more about it is where we should start. Letting kids know about this can lead them into taking action. According to the Yale Program on Climate Change Communication,”Even more importantly, 78 percent of Americans believe that we should educate the next generation about it.”

In fact, Idaho is the only state in the US to have it that they have to teach about the environment. There was a battle to keep it or to get rid of it; however, it still retains in their curriculum. Other states have tried to have this, but failed.

There are many reasons why we need to start now. All of the air around us is polluted. The pollution can cause many problems to people and their bodies. According to World Wildlife Fund, “Long-term exposure to air pollution, for example, can lead to chronic respiratory disease, lung cancer and other diseases.”

There are some places that don’t have the education to teach the students this. It could be because they don’t have enough money to get a good education. That’s okay because there are organizations that can help. The North American Association for Environmental Education is helping this and promotes early childhood environmental educators. They call it the Natural Start Alliance. It is a network of organizations, educators, and parents committed to connecting young children to nature and the environment through education. This is a way to make sure that everyone knows about the environment.

Taking action will be the best way to start and get people to notice this problem. One way is to talk to the superintendent at your school. This will open the idea up to start teaching about the environment and the problems we need to solve.