HHS welcomes new filmmaking club

Elizabeth Newman, Layout Designer

Lights, camera, action!

Filmmaking club is the newest addition to Hershey High School (HHS). Varsha Saravana, Olivia Reid, and Molly Reeves are the student leaders of the club, with Phil Ayala as the club’s advisor. The club will work on various projects throughout the year in which they will create films and possibly show them to the HHS student body.

The student leaders, Saravana, Reeves, and Reid, all have equal authority within the club, but they each have their own positions. Saravana is the head director; Reid is the head writer, and Reeves is the head producer.

Ayala’s main job as the advisor is to facilitate the needs of the students. He always asks the students what they want to do and then helps them think of ways to make it happen. Ayala also makes sure that the students have all of the equipment necessary to accomplish what they’d like to do.

Reeves, Saravana, and Reid wanted to start filmmaking club because they are all passionate about it. “There wasn’t that platform already, so we decided to make one,” said Reeves.

The student leaders figured that if they were into filmmaking, some other students would be into it as well, according to Saravana.

Throughout the year, the filmmaking club will be doing several projects. One project is an anti-drug video. Once the club has finished filming and editing their video, they will submit it to a government competition called “Talk to your Senator.” If the video is good enough and the HHS administration likes it, the video may air on the morning announcements, according to Reeves.

The club also has plans to attend a technology convention, PETE&C, and make a video about it. The convention will display new technology and talk about how to use it. The club will go to the convention, film for a day, and interview people about the convention. As for now, the club is not fully sure on what will happen with their video after it is made, but they do know that they are excited about it.

The filmmaking club has a few goals for their first year. One of their goals is to gain more members. According to Reeves, the club currently has about ten members. Reeves put an emphasis on getting underclassmen involved as well so they have someone to hand the club off to next year. Another goal the filmmaking club has would be to make some good films, according to Saravana.

Ayala also has goals for the club. His main goal would be have at least one finished project to show for their hard work.

There are no set meetings for the club. Instead, the meetings will be scheduled on a more needed basis. There will be an announcement in the morning for when and where the meeting will be.

For those interested in joining filmmaking club, all they must do is either start attending the meetings, or contact Reeves, Reid, or Saravana. The student leaders also recommend joining their remind by texting @hhsfilmm to the number 81010.

Reeves, Reid, and Saravana encourage everyone to join filmmaking club. “It’s a great club that everyone should join and it’s a fun time,” said Saravana.