Opportunities for high school students offered at HHS

Elizabeth Newman, Reporter

Students participate in a class during the Accounting Career Awareness Program. The ACAP started in 1980 and has happened every year since then. (Source: Point Park University).

High school students are always looking for activities they can do to set them apart from the crowd. Thankfully, there are many opportunities for those students to do that through resources recommended by the HHS Guidance Counselors.

HMC Pulse

PULSE is a program offered by the Penn State College of Medicine for high school students who are passionate about biomedical sciences. PULSE will meet once a week during the fall semester from 4-6:30 PM at the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. The 2017 topic is Infectious Diseases.

Registration for PULSE 2017 is currently open, but the deadline is Wednesday, May 31, 2017.

PULSE recommends reviewing the program before submitting an application. A letter of recommendation is required from a science teacher or a guidance counselor along with an application. The letter of recommendation should be emailed  to [email protected] with “LOR_(the applicant’s name)” as the subject. An application will not be looked at until a letter of recommendation and a transcript have been submitted and received.

2017 Cultural Celebration Essay Contest

The 2017 Cultural Celebration Essay Contest is sponsored by Dauphin County’s Cultural Celebration Task Force and Human Services Department. The contest is divided into three age groups: ages 6-10, 11-14, and 15-18. The essay prompts get harder as the age increases, but they are all about cultural diversity in some way. There will be nine winners selected, three per age group. Each winner will receive a cash prize ranging between $25.00-$140.00. They will also be recognized by the Dauphin County Commissioners.

The deadline for essay submission is 4:00pm on Friday, May 19, 2017. Each essay should contain the writer’s name, age, grade, school, address, and phone number. A word count of the essay should also be included.

Finished essays are to be mailed or brought to the Dauphin County Administration Building Dept. of Human Resources. The address is 2 S. Second Street, 5th Floor Harrisburg, PA 17101.

Accounting Career Awareness Program

The Accounting Career Awareness Program is a one week program for sophomores, juniors, and seniors in high school. It takes place from Sunday, June 25 to Friday, June 30 at Point Park University, Pittsburgh, PA. The goal of ACAP is to promote and increase understanding of accounting career opportunities throughout minority groups.

Throughout the week, students can attend classes about accounting and business, and personal development and college preparation. They can also take tours of local companies and have their parents/guardians come to a banquet at the end of the week to recognize and celebrate their completion of the program.

Requirements for the program include a copy of the applicant’s current transcript with a minimum of a 3.0 GPA. Also, at least two letters of recommendation are needed. The letters must be written by a teacher or guidance counselor.

Applications for ACAP can be found here. The application asks for basic information about the applicant, the applicant’s parent/guardian, and high school. Applicants must also explain in 100 words or less how they will benefit from from the ACAP. They must also list any extracurricular activities or organizations they are apart of and awards and honors they have received.

The deadline for applications and other items are due by Friday, May 19, 2017.