Semper-Fidelis All-American Program offered to HHS students

Elizabeth Newman, Reporter

Hershey High School presents many opportunities to its students, and being able to earn the title “All-American” is no exception.

Marine Sgt. Maj. Michael Barrett, left, awards the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl high school football game MVP trophy to West All American Jaydon Mickens at Chase Field, Tuesday, Jan. 3, 2012, in Phoenix. West defeated East 17-14. (AP Photo/Matt York)

The Semper-Fidelis All-American Program is offered by the United States Marine Corps to high school students who have just completed their junior year. The selected students will go on an all-expense paid trip to the Battles Won Academy in Washington, D.C. The program is held on July 13-17, 2017. Applications for the program are due on February 28, 2017.

There are a few requirements for the program, such as having a GPA equivalent or higher than a 3.5. Also, the applicants must be active in their community, play a competitive team sport, and hold a student or community leadership position.

The students who are selected will jump into a Marine Corps experience while participating in team building experiences and sporting events. A behind-the-scenes tour of the United States Capitol will also be given to the students.

There will also be a group of speakers from many different backgrounds that the students have the opportunity to talk to. The speakers will share stories of them fighting and overcoming battles in their lives to inspire students.

Selection is based on the applicant’s ability to face and overcome personal struggles. In addition to having faced battles in their lives, the students are chosen based on their academics, moral character, and athletic abilities.

Selected students are encouraged to bring a mentor along with them to the Battles Won Academy, for the program values building a strong bond and support system between the two generations.

The Semper Fidelis All-American Program has benefits other than the immense amount of knowledge each student will gain. Each student will become eligible for select scholarship opportunities. These opportunities are only available to the program participants.

If you are interested, an application must be filled out. The application will ask for basic information such as your name, address, and information about your school. Students will also be asked if they volunteer, if they play or have played sports, and if they hold leadership positions in their communities.

Once a nomination has been submitted, an email will be sent to the email provided in the application.

To find out more about the Semper Fidelis All-American Program, visit https://sfaap.marines.com/.