Five tips for teens to slay Black Friday

Haley Daniels and Lynn Dang

Black Friday is usually the best time to get all the deals, but are you getting ripped off?

Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, falls on the November 25 this year. All stores claim to offer the best deals, but how do you decide? These five tips will ensure success this Black Friday.

A shopper takes a selfie as crowds pour into the Macy's Herald Square flagship store, Thursday, Nov. 28, 2013, in New York. Instead of waiting for Black Friday, which is typically the year's biggest shopping day, more than a dozen major retailers are opening on Thanksgiving this year. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

A shopper takes a selfie as crowds pour into the Macy’s Herald Square flagship store, Thursday, Nov. 28, 2013, in New York. Instead of waiting for Black Friday, which is typically the year’s biggest shopping day, more than a dozen major retailers are opening on Thanksgiving this year. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

• Plan ahead. In order to get everything you want this Black Friday, it’s crucial to have a plan. An easy way to make a plan is by writing down what you really want, and checking to see if it can be found online as well as in stores. Sometimes items you really wanted (but can’t get in store) are available online, so not all hope is lost for those door-busting deals.

• Research. Black Friday deals can be real steals, but only if the products you buy are functional. No matter how cheap it is, a bad product will negate the low price. Don’t waste your time and efforts to get a low quality product. Read reviews and ask others to to get multiple opinions about products you want to buy.
  • Compare prices. Comparing prices is vital for getting the best deals. According to  Consumer Reports, a simple way to compare prices is by downloading one of the many apps that scan barcodes to compare prices, get discounts, and gain coupons. Some apps include ShopSavvy and BuyVia. Once you know what stores have the lowest prices, you can plan your itinerary to target those stores. Not everything is a deal!
  • Take advantage of Early Bird deals and Night Owl Specials. According to Black Friday.com, “Many stores advertise early bird deals, generally between 4 and 11 a.m., to help draw in the crowd…” If you are not willing to get up at the crack of dawn, some of those stores also offer night owl specials between the hours of midnight and 4 a.m. Additional reporting from Black Friday.com claims that, “Cashing in on these deals is not only a good way to beat the crowd, but it’s a good way to guarantee the getting will be good, because typically, once the deals are gone, they are gone.”
  • Create a budget. Money can be tight for teens in today’s world. Knowing this, it is important to create a budget for your purchases. This can keep you from impulsively buying products that you really don’t need and may never use. According to Consumer Reports,Black Friday sales, especially the doorbuster specials available in limited quantities, are designed to get you into the store so that retailers can sell you something else.” Don’t get caught in their trap; you will only waste your money.

About the Writer
Haley Daniels, Reporter

Haley Daniels is a reporter for the Broadcaster. She is a senior at HHS and has been a part of the Broadcaster for three years. Haley enjoys dogs, lacrosse,...