American Obesity Epidemic: Obesity Rates Keep Rising

Anna Levin, Reporter

Food. A source of nutrients, a source of comfort, a source of illness.

Obesity, a term defined as having a Body Mass Index of more than 30, has reached epidemic levels in almost half of the United States. Obesity prevails in almost every state and causes many health related issues. Health organizations across the board are fighting to end obesity.

Body Mass Index (BMI), a weight to height ratio that measures body fat percentage, is used in many studies to calculate obesity. According to NPR, however, with these statistics, BMI weight measurement is not an accurate depiction of obesity. The NPR article, Why The BMI Is Bogus, states that the BMI test applies well to people who live a sedentary lifestyle, but not active or muscular people. The test does not calculate the muscle, bone, or water mass of a person.

Pictured above is an assortment of junk foods including: chips, crackers, cereal, and chocolate. Junk or fast food is typically food with low nutritional value that is prepackaged and needs little preparation. (Broadcaster/Anna Levin)

“A previous study of NFL football players found that a large percentage of them – around 60 percent – were considered obese…many athletes have huge BMIs because of muscle mass, but in many cases are not fat.” said Jim Pivarnik, a Michigan State University professor of kinesiology and epidemiology. Though NPR and Pivarnik state why BMI tests are not 100 percent accurate, data from the CDC shows that obesity is still an issue in the U.S.

Obesity is most commonly caused by a caloric imbalance when too many calories are consumed and not enough burned. In 2016, 13.9 percent of high school students are considered obese. The CDC says teenagers should be taught healthy eating habits and proper exercise in school. They believe the health education will help to combat obesity as well as obesity related diseases.

Risk of heart disease, strokes, Type II Diabetes, certain kinds of cancer, and reproductive problems are increased as a person’s body fat percentage increases. The National Institute of Health says more than 300,000 people in the U.S. die prematurely every year due to obesity related health issues. Obesity not only causes physical, but also financial issues, according to The American Heart. They also state obese American adults pay approximately $190 billion per year in health care costs.

First lady Michelle Obama, accompanied by Let’s Move! Executive Director Deb Eschmeyer, right, talks with children in the East Room at the White House in Washington, Wednesday, June 3, 2015, after they helped prepare and eat food harvested from the White House Kitchen Garden with children from all over the country who participated in events with the "Let’s Move!" campaign. The "Let's Move!" campaign, started by Michelle Obama seeks to combat the epidemic of childhood obesity and encourage a healthy lifestyle. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)
First lady Michelle Obama, accompanied by Let’s Move! Executive Director Deb Eschmeyer, right, talks with children in the East Room at the White House in Washington, Wednesday, June 3, 2015, after they helped prepare and eat food harvested from the White House Kitchen Garden with children from all over the country who participated in events with the “Let’s Move!” campaign. The “Let’s Move!” campaign, started by Michelle Obama seeks to combat the epidemic of childhood obesity and encourage a healthy lifestyle. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

According to Stanford Health Care,  obesity prevention from the beginning is an important issue in the health industry. The article highlights that prevention is necessary because of the difficulty to treat obesity related conditions.

The CDC views obesity in a similar light, claiming that in order to prevent or reverse obesity a full lifestyle change must occur. They suggest simple changes such as introducing healthier foods into everyday life as well as exercising more.  

Exercise is one of the healthy lifestyle initiatives spearheaded by First Lady Michelle Obama.   The “Let’s Move!” campaign works to combat obesity and promote healthy living.

Similarly to the “Let’s Move!” campaign, both the CDC and Stanford Medicine suggest 30 minutes or more of moderate workouts, like going on a slow jog, everyday. In order to lose weight, a calorie deficit must be achieved. This means more calories need to be burned than are consumed. However, the CDC recommends using resources, such as Choose My Plate, to ensure a healthy weight loss plan.

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) suggests small changes in everyday life to create a smooth transition to a healthier lifestyle. Simply adding more whole foods into an everyday diet can help to build a healthy lifestyle. Whole foods include fruits, vegetables, grains, seeds, nuts, beans, and legumes. The USDA also suggests eating calorically dense foods, like a cheeseburger or french fries, in smaller amounts.

Obesity is a disease that affects over 30 percent of Americans, and the trend in obesity is continuing to rise. Almost all health organizations, including the CDC and the USDA, agree that prevention from a young age is crucial to eliminating this disease. Teaching children to eat healthily and exercise regularly is thought to help lower their chance of becoming obese. Both sites agree, obesity prevention cannot occur without support from family and medical professionals.