Community Day: Disney Movie Appreciation Club

Anna Levin, Copy Editor

Film, food, fun and relaxation.

(From left to right) Student advisors Elizabeth McCurdy, Kellie Drobenak, Kimberly Robinson, Maddy Soulliard, and Thomas Perry setup for Community Day on October 7, 2016. These students have been the advisors for the last two years. (Broadcaster/ Anna Levin)

This is the goal of Hershey High School’s Disney Movie Appreciation Club (DMAC), according to teacher advisor Nikki Fisher. The club was created last year by current HHS seniors Kimberly Robinson and Elizabeth McCurdy, two of the six student advisors. Though it was originally a joking idea, the two girls decided to write a proposal for the club.

“There were no non-academic after school clubs that appealed to us. We wanted to make a club with no stress,” said Robinson.

Their goal was to create a fun environment for HHS students to get together and enjoy their favorite Disney movies together. During the year, they watch 16 movies total. The student advisors said they tried to pick a mix of new, old, animated, and live-action movies to appeal to all students.

The club meets every Tuesday for about 45 minutes to watch half of the chosen Disney movie. This year the club starts new movies every first and third Tuesday of the month. This upcoming Tuesday, they are finishing the movie Inside Out. The live action Disney movie Enchanted is their next film.

On average, there are about 20 students who attend each meeting. Robinson and McCurdy said their goal this year was to get more students to bring their friends with them. The girls also want to take the club on a field trip after school.

Moana and Beauty and the Beast Live are coming out soon, and we thought it might be fun to go see one as a club together after school or over break,” said McCurdy.

On Community Day, the club advisors decided to show a clip from the 2004 Disney movie The Incredibles. They showed a 20 minute clip from the movie. They wanted to recreate the stress relieving environment that the club strives to make, according to McCurdy.

“We picked it because of its underlying theme of community. It’s fun, but also ties in the theme of the day,” said Fisher. She said that Community Day is supposed to allow students to explore their passions. The advisors wanted to show a movie to give students a glimpse into the year to come, Robinson explained.

During the first session, 16 students attended including HHS Sophomore Bridget Starner. Having already been to one meeting this year, Starner said she wanted to join the club because of how fun it was. Starner said she thought it was one of the only clubs she and her friends could attend and relax during.

Both Robinson and McCurdy said they hope the exposure Community Day gave the club will attract more students to come. They emphasized that the work they put in is only worth it if they have students come and enjoy with them.

“Come! Bring your friends! We want to give you an outlet to destress and have [a] good time after such a long day of school,” said McCurdy while introducing the club.