Teacher Profile: Christopher Boggess

Lydia Gould, Feature Writer

His least favorite subject turned into his full-time job.

Boggess (above) types on his computer on September 6, 2016 at HHS. Before that, he prepared to give a test to his Honors English 10 class. (Broadcaster/Lydia Gould)

Christopher Boggess is a new English teacher this year at HHS. He teaches English Honors 9, English Honors 10, and a class of ESL (english as a second language). Although Boggess did not like English when he was a child, he is very pleased with his career decision now.

Boggess was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and it didn’t take long for him to realize that English was his least favorite subject due to the overwhelming amount of work and harsh grading.

“I thought, ‘who would ever want to be an English Teacher?’” said Boggess.  

After high school, Boggess attended Messiah College with a psychology major in hopes of becoming a guidance counselor. However, after a few classes, he chose to drop psychology and decided to switch majors.

“I knew I wanted to work with students, and I knew I wanted to do it right out of school,” Boggess said. He then decided that being a teacher would be the perfect fit.

Boggess’ decision to be an English teacher was influenced by multiple positive english teachers in high school and college. Despite the harsh grading some teachers gave him, Boggess still appreciated the way they taught.

“[The high school teachers] were just amazing,” he said,  “They were really tough, and they expected a lot out of us.”

After his years at Messiah College and a student teaching job in Adams County, he applied to teach at Hershey High School and was immediately hired.

Even though he hasn’t been at HHS for very long, Boggess said that his first impression of the district was great. He said that the teachers have been very supportive, and the student body is very motivated.

“Hershey is such as supportive place where everyone is driven to work together,” Boggess said,  “Students want to learn and succeed.”

Although he is not involved in any extracurriculars, Boggess is interested in learning about the “student culture” and helping out with activities when needed.

Boggess believes there are many things that he is looking forward to this school year. His first week at HHS has brought high expectations for the rest of the year.

“It’s been amazing so far,” he said.

However, Boggess said that there is one thing that stressed him out.“I don’t feel like I’m a great decorator,” he said, “[My classroom] looks like it was done by a fifth grader.”

While classroom decorating was not one of his favorite activities, Boggess has many other hobbies and interests that he enjoys. He loves watching movies, playing the guitar, volleyball, and running. 
Overall, Boggess says that he’s very happy about his decision to start teaching at Hershey.