Listicle: Making the transition from high school to college

Pictured is the start of a list. By making a list, you can ensure you will be less stressed and more organized when you begin the packing process. (Suzy Hazelwood/Pexels)

Leah Wilhelm, Reporter

Moving into college can be known to cause stress for students, but by using these 10 steps you can help make the transition easier. 

1. Make a list: Start by making a list of all belongings you plan to bring with you to college. By making a list, you can ensure you will be less stressed and more organized when you begin the packing process. This will also lessen your chances of leaving an important item behind. 
  2. Coordinate with your roommate: If you’re living with a roommate, make sure to reach out before your move in day. This way you will already be well acquainted, and can prevent bringing duplicate items. 
  3. Plan your transportation: While writing your packing list and preparing your bags, don’t forget to arrange appropriate transportation to your destination. While choosing a form of transport, consider what will be the most convenient for your belongings and distance. 
  4. Check your college’s guidelines: Make sure to review your college’s guidelines in regards to move-in day. This may include specific check-in times or parking instructions, that can help you avoid any unnecessary delays or complications. 
  5. Pack efficiently: When packing, try to pack logically and efficiently. Remember to label your boxes and consider transportation barriers that may arise while packing. 
  6. Pack a first-day bag: Pack a small bag with easily accessible essentials for the first day or two. This may include  a change of clothes, toiletries, and a few snacks. This will ensure less hassle and unnecessary unpacking. 
  7. Plan your furniture: If you’re planning on bringing your own furniture, make sure to measure your living space ahead of time and map out your room. It may help to loft your bed in order to expand space. 
  8. Bring decorations: Remember to bring some personal items. These will make you feel more at home in your new environment. These may include pictures, heirlooms, or stuffed animals. 
  9. Communication: After you’ve moved in, make sure to have open communication with your roommate. Discuss privacy preferences, schedules, and general boundaries. This will ensure a healthy and respectful relationship with your roommate going forward. 
  10. Stay organized: Lastly stay organized. Once you’ve moved in, keep your items neatly stored, keep your room tidy, and create a space where you can stay focused on your environment. 

By following these tips, you can ensure a calm and stress-free move-in day and start your college experience off on the right foot.