New Phys Ed. Courses for 2023-24 school year

Elizabeth Vojt and Christina Lengle

Hershey High School will be introducing four new physical education classes for the 2023-2024 school year.

Replacing the current cardio course will be Fitness Fusion 1 and 2. With these new classes, students can expect lots of group fitness activities designed to improve cardiovascular fitness, flexibility, and balance. Some of the activities for the course will include yoga, pilates, running, and Just Dance.

Weight Training and Fitness 1 and 2 will be taking over the Strength and Conditioning course. These classes will offer lots of flexibility, teaching students how to make and utilize a personalized fitness program. Students will learn lots of skills that will help them in their fitness journey.

These new courses will each last one semester, and will be worth half a credit. Specific teachers have not been assigned to the courses yet.

The goal of offering these new programs is to provide students with structured, enjoyable gym classes that they will actually want to participate in.

Currently, many students are choosing APEX, a virtual gym option, over the actual in-person course. 

“That’s the million dollar question: Will kids actually take the courses? We can offer them, but will students actually choose them over APEX?” said HHS Phys. Ed. teacher Nate Erdman.

Adding these extra classes was originally an idea from HHS’ principal, Lindsey Schmidt. 

Back in Summer of 2022, Phys. Ed. Department Chair Paul Blackburn was told by Schmidt that she would like to incorporate some new Phys. Ed. credits. 

Now students can be on the lookout for these new classes during course selection this February.