Frenetic Friday for HHS Sports vs Palmyra

Joey Owsley, Reporter

Last Friday, January 13, 2023 Hershey sports went 2-1 against Palmyra, with the boys’ basketball and hockey teams providing the victories; the girls’ basketball team fell to the Cougars.

The Girls’ basketball team were the only squad that didn’t triumph over the Cougars, as they fell 34-22 at home. Simultaneously, across town the Hershey boys were demolishing their Cougar counterparts. The Trojans won 61-36 in a game that was never particularly close; the Trojans jumped out to a double digit lead in the first half, and never let the game slip out of control. 

Then, the scene transitioned from the hard court to the ice, as the Trojans and the Cougars squared off at Klick Lewis on Friday. Hershey hockey completed the season sweep of Palmyra, triumphing 3-0.

Friday’s goals were scored by Billy Ritner, Tyler Treadway, and David Maish. Freshman goaltender Alex Placeres kept the shutout for Hershey.

Hershey continued their dominance over the Cougars this season. Hershey was also victorious against Palmyra by an 8-2 margin in November 2022. 

Hershey Hockey improves to 10-3 on the year, while the Cougars slide to 3-10. Hershey plays at home on Monday night against Hempfied/Manheim Township. The Cougars next match is also Monday night, as they will host rival Lower Dauphin.

Back at Hershey High School, the Hershey girls’ play has been improving over the course of the season, evidenced by their relatively narrow 34-22 loss against Palmyra. It is a marked improvement from earlier this season, where the Trojans fell 49-17 against Palmyra. Hershey is now 0-12 on the season, while Palmyra improved to 4-9. 

It is a flipped script for the boys: Hershey has now won both contests against Palmyra this season, as they won 55-34 last month. Matthew DeDonatis, the Trojans’ leader in points this season, once again topped all scorers with 21 on Friday; Tyler Burgess led the Cougars with 10 points. Hershey rises to 8-4 while Palmyra falls to 7-7. 

Both the Trojan boys’ and girls’ teams will take the court on Monday night against Lebanon; the girls are home while the boys are on the road. Meanwhile, both of Palmyra’s teams are in action on Monday as well; the boys travel to Northern York, while the girls host Susquehanna Township.