Joshua Bassett’s EP May Be a Response to Olivia Rodrigo’s SOUR

Allie Balcomb, Reporter

Joshua Bassett released an EP containing three songs on December 3rd, 2021: Crisis, Secret and Set Me Free. The artist also released a trio of music videos paired with each song. But his new music sparked questions.

Upon the release of Olivia Rodrigo’s SOUR, fans had suspected the album’s heartbreak theme was based on her co-star on Disney+’s High School Musical the Musical the Series, Joshua Bassett due to their on and off screen chemistry.

The feedback had made the artist acclaimed and fans had torn apart Bassett, who never fully got a word in on the “crisis”. 

“Crisis,” which Bassett says to GQ is about “all the crazy PR over the year,” references a breakup instigated by the other party; “Secret” is about the discovery of an ex’s lie; and “Set Me Free,” the third song, is about processing an experience, an anthem for people who’ve held pain and power over other people’s whole lives.”

These songs were written six months prior to their release, but Bassett wasn’t in the right mindset to release them then—now, he says, “I finally found the courage to speak up for myself. I feel like a lot of this last year people haven’t seen me as a human being.”

Sabrina Carpenter, Bassett’s rumored girlfriend and allegedly the subject of a lyrical reference on “Drivers License,” released her own single, “Skin,” on January 22nd, 2021, which became her debut Hot 100 entry and added fuel to the ever-growing gossip, said Microsoft News.

While the three involved– Rodrigo, Bassett, and Carpenter– haven’t confirmed nor denied the drama, their songs speak for themselves. 

Vulture states that Bassett before the release had told fans, “Due to the nature of pop culture, and the current public perspective, there will be a lot of loud voices in this next chapter — positive, negative and everywhere in between”. He also reminded them to “treat everyone with respect and love,” stating that “anyone who sends hate on my ‘behalf’ is no fan of mine.”

Bassett’s new EP seemed to share his side of the story. But with nothing confirmed, people only seem to be focused on picking a side of who to believe.