Phillip Arthur’s New Brick Oven is Bringing Something New to the Table

Keeley Farrell, Reporter

Local restaurant Phillip Arthur’s is offering up something Hershey hasn’t seen before.The restaurant is now selling nine types of brick oven pizzas plus a create your own with many topping options and even an option for a gluten-free crust. They also added a breakfast menu, some new salads and a couple sandwiches on the lunch menu for everyone to enjoy.

Philip Guarno, the owner, has been around the restaurant business his whole life. While he was growing up, his dad owned a restaurant, and he was around a lot of the time. He later went to school for restaurant administration and went on to get his Masters of Business Administration. 

Since the re-opening Guarno said, “We have had more business, and the brick oven has been super popular.”

Guarno hopes that once the new corporate restaurants open across the street, customers will still come to enjoy the historical restaurants in downtown Hershey.

The brick oven had been talked about for 8 years before the restaurant ever got it. Guarno’s wife Kzeta had pushed the idea. He eventually gave into the idea, and it turned out to be something great.  

When the restaurant reopened on April 10, 2018 after being closed for nearly three months, customers loved it. One person, Liza Marie, who visited commented on their Facebook page, “ I came with my family of 5. The pizza and ice cream were devoured by my children with no complaints.”

The new pizzas can fit anyone’s taste, and with the create your own option anyone coming to eat can be satisfied, with their own creation.

Another customer, Levi Chase said, “Finally good brick oven pizza in Hershey!”

Many customers describe Phillip Arthur’s as a place with a great environment. One customer, Randy McKillop even said “I have personally loved the food and atmosphere for over 40 years!”

To keep things new and clean Guarno likes to have a big addition to the restaurant every year. This year he added the brick oven, and in past years it has been a bar, a patio, and updating the dining room.

“One of the keys to success in business is you have to constantly change,” Guarno said.

In the future, Guarno hopes to add some new items that are cooked in the brick oven. He wants to experiment with roasted chicken, calzones, and strombolis. For now, they only have the pizza.

Guarno has good relationships with his customer many being the students who come in after school. He likes to give to the students and Phillip Arthur’s offers a student special that includes a personal pizza and a soda or scooping of ice cream for $6.00.

The restaurant has a TV playing a slideshow of all the groups who have had a “Kitchen Sink,” a truly massive bowl with nine scoops of ice cream.

Guarno also owns the restaurant right next to Phillip Arthur’s, Fenicci’s. That restaurant is the oldest and has been open for 84 years. Guarno hopes to hit 100 years.

Kaden Farrell, Jake Moyer, and Ryder Reitz all enjoy Phillip Arthur’s new brick oven pizza on April 27, 2018. Phillip Arthur’s was closed for about three months while getting the brick oven. (Broadcaster/Keeley Farrell)
Ryder Reitz takes his first bight of the new brick oven pizza on April 27, 2018, while Kaden Farrell drinks his birthday cake milkshake. Guarno was glad he finally got a brick oven. (Broadcaster/Keeley Farrell)