5 Ways to Enjoy Summer Without Phones

Michael Clifford, left, and Luke Hemmings of the band 5 Seconds of Summer perform in concert during their “Rock Out with Your Socks Out Tour 2015” at Hershey Stadium on Saturday, Aug. 29, 2015, in Hershey, Pa. (Photo by Owen Sweeney/Invision/AP)

Marisa Balanda, Editor in Chief

Summer. The sun shines, birds chirp, and phones buzz. Resist the temptation to spend the summer glued to an iPhone with these fun activities:

1. Read a Book

For most teenagers, the school year is consumed with projects, tests, sports, clubs, and very little free time. Summer is the perfect time to sunbathe with a book in hand and get caught up on the trendiest titles. From Memorial Day through Labor Day, the Hershey Public Library has adjusted hours and offers an Adult Summer Reading Program for people over 16. A list of PopSugar’s ranking of the best summer reads can be found here. Hit the books and get ahead on summer reading assignments!

1. Volunteer

There are many opportunities to volunteer around the community. Teenagers ages 12-15 can volunteer at the Hershey Gardens and assist with nature themed children’s activities. Students 18 and older can volunteer as butterfly atrium attendants and interact with species of tropical butterflies from all around the world. Each position has a different time commitment. Check out the requirements and application here. Additionally, there are a variety of volunteer experiences for teens at the Hershey Medical Center. Each year, the hospital welcomes nearly 100 teen volunteers who are interested in the medical field. More information about these programs can be found here. Get ready to give back!

1. Have a Yard Sale

With the abundance of electronic platforms such as eBay, Craigslist, and Poshmark, yard sales may seem obsolete. However, traditional garage sales can be a fun way to make some quick cash. According to HGTV, yard sales can attract more customers with “fun factors” such as balloons, refreshments, and music. In addition, HGTV suggests that reasonable pricing is another important aspect of yard sales. Grab some clutter and get selling!

1. Go to a Concert

From Train to Luke Bryan to Nickelback, Hersheypark Stadium will be hosting a multitude of concerts this summer. Tickets can be purchased via phone, box office, or online. For free entertainment, check out Music on Chocolate in Downtown Hershey. On the second Saturday of June, July, August, and September, the Downtown Hershey Association sponsors a free summer concert series with music from a variety of local bands. There is also food available for purchase from many local restaurants. Turn up the music!

1. Exercise

Stay fit this summer and hit the gym! Many gyms such as Gold’s and PowerTrain offer special classes or personal training that help clients stay on a regimented fitness schedule. If purchasing a gym membership is not ideal, summer weather is prime for biking, running, and swimming. Additionally, many parks offer free yoga or aerobics classes in the mornings. Get ready to break a sweat!