HHS Students Spread Positivity

Bella D'Adderio, Features Writer

Junior Azelin Thompson creates an inspirational poster during the HCYA: Hershey Compliments session. Azelin has been a member of HCYA since the beginning of the school year. (Broadcaster/ Bella D’Adderio)

This club makes sure Hershey, PA lives up to the name: “the sweetest place on earth.”

On Friday, October 7, students of Hershey High School came together in room E118 with just one goal: to make their school a more uplifting place. By creating positive signs to be displayed throughout the halls, students are able to spread good vibes and ultimately make a difference in the lives of their fellow classmates.

Hershey Community Youth Alliance, more commonly known as HCYA, has been a club at HHS since 2009. Throughout the year, members of this club meet with students from Milton Hershey School and discuss activities they will participate in together for the near future. By being able to bond over common interests and ideas, students from both schools have the opportunity to get to know one another on a personal level.

Junior Azelin Thompson is one of these people. Thompson, who has been a member of HYCA since the beginning of the 2016 school year, is one of the many leaders in the club. Thompson simply enjoys leading and participating as much as she can in HHS, so she felt being part of HYCA was the right choice for her.

“I actually love community service,” said Thompson.

Thanks to the Second Annual Community day, Thompson was yet again able to contribute to HHS in hopes to make the school a better place.

“My actual goal is to make a poster that someone will really stop and think about,” said Thompson.

However, Thompson wasn’t the only student with these intentions. All of those who participated were hoping to do the same. In order to reach the goal of an impactful poster, students looked up inspirational quotes online to then wrote and decorated these quotes on posters. By late morning, members of the session were hoping to have the signs hung up around the school.

HHS Students gather in room E188 during the Second Annual Community Day in hopes to spread positivity around the school. HCYA has been a club since 2009. (Broadcaster/ Bella D’Adderio)

Club Advisor Mrs. Dilger is not necessarily part of the HCYA club, but she did participate with the other students. Although Dilger was assigned to be here, she considers being part of HCYA in the future after spending the morning and seeing what good was brought to the school.

Despite this being the first time HCYA has had its individual session created by Mrs. Ives and Mrs. Clouser, the session ran smooth by as music was played that everyone enjoyed and snacks were provided.

By the end of the session, Dilger hopes students who participated will have the privilege of knowing they were are able to empower those around them by one poster at a time.