WireWorks Club inspires students

Kieri Karpa, Layout Designer

Students transform into characters that have come from the depth of their imagination.

Sophomore Sydney Hover begins writing a script off of one line drawn from a hat. WireWorks uses techniques, such as drawing a line from a hat and then writing a script, to inspire members to try things they might not be comfortable with.
Sophomore Sydney Hover begins writing a script off of one line drawn from a hat. WireWorks uses techniques, such as drawing a line from a hat and then writing a script, to inspire members to try things they might not be comfortable with. (Broadcaster/Kieri Karpa)

These students are members of the performing arts club WireWorks. This club focuses on teaching students about all aspects of performing arts from the tech and lighting to writing plays. The club has a session at the Second Annual Community Day this year.

The origins of this club begin almost 80 years ago. It all began with a club called Scotch and Soda at Carnegie Mellon University. The students in the drama, english, and music programs were angry because they were not allowed to interact with one another. Scotch and Soda was a group of students from the three programs who snuck out to meet together against demands of the Professors.

Mrs. Silvestri, WireWorks’s teacher advisor, was one a part of Scotch and Soda. In 2008, when she began working at Hershey, she decided she wanted to start a club where students from all parts of the performing arts could interact.

The club is for all students, regardless of their interest in being on stage. Silvestri wants to help young actors, playwrights, composers, and tech crew members develop their skills.

Although she’s here to help her club members grow, Silvestri knows that not everyone will be good at everything offered in WireWorks. “Wireworks is here to hit and miss and see if it works,” Silvestri said.

Student leaders, Josie Gawrys and Paige Beck, help members develop their skills as well. Gawrys believes that her job as a student leader is to give herself and the other members of the club a place to learn.

“Mistakes you make help you learn, and this club is a safe place to make mistakes,” Gawrys said.

Gawrys hopes that more people will join WireWorks this year. She wants everyone to have a safe place to take a chance, make mistakes, and grow.