Ben and Tim Day Celebrates 25 Years

Kieri Karpa, Layout Manager

Their legacy lives on through the community that loved them most.

Two Hershey High School juniors, Tim Russell and Ben Yupcavage, were killed in a fatal car accident on January 23, 1992. Their teammates and classmates came together to create Ben and Tim Day, an event that unites many in the

Bill Russell and I would like to thank our family, friends, our B&TDay committee and the Hershey area community for your continued support for this great day. Last June 1, $18,000. was given to HHS students. These scholarships are very special to the hearts of the Yupcavage and Russell families. Thank you so very much for your support and we hope to see you all at this year's event. (Broadcaster/Kieri Karpa)
Bill Russell and I would like to thank our family, friends, our B&TDay committee and the Hershey area community for your continued support for this great day. Last June 1, $18,000. was given to HHS students. These scholarships are very special to the hearts of the Yupcavage and Russell families. Thanks you so very much for your support and we hope to see you all at this year’s event.
(Facebook/Ben and Tim Day)

Hershey community.

The Tim Russell-Ben Yupcavage Memorial Scholarship Fund was created in memory of the boys. It receives proceeds from a 5K race, a 1 mile fun run, a chicken barbeque, a pasta dinner, and a soccer game, explained the Russells.

According to Paula Russell, the earnings are given away as scholarships; however, beginning this year, some of the money will be given as grants to select local charities.

One hundred percent of the scholarships are given to HHS students. Bill Russell explained that requirements for the scholarship are financial need, involvement in the community, and involvement in athletics. Additionally, there is no certain grade point average requirement for the scholarships.

“[The Ben and Tim Scholarship Fund] think[s] a lot of kids should get scholarships even if they don’t get the grades,” Mrs. Russell said.

The Russells hope that the school chooses students who “have Tim’s attributes.” According to Mrs. Russell, attributes include: teachability, kindness, respectfulness, strong work ethic, caring, and helpfulness.

For the 25th anniversary of Ben and Tim Day, the Ben and Tim Foundation would like to give away $25,000 worth of scholarships. With everything that goes on to earn money for the scholarships, it’s no surprise that the Russells would need help; that’s when they turn to the soccer and cross country teams.

According to Al Fricke, Tim’s cross country coach and current head cross country coach, the cross country team does a lot to help out with Ben and Tim Day. They sell chicken barbeque tickets, stuff the runner packets, and work the race.

With 830 preregistered runners, the Russells said that they are very grateful for the assistance in  stuffing runners packets with t-shirts and race numbers. “That’s a big help and [the cross country team] get it done very quickly,” Mrs. Russell said.

Like the cross country team, the soccer teams help by selling chicken barbeque tickets. They also assist the Friday before the race by working the registration table.

The soccer game that the teams play during the Ben and Tim Day Festivities is in honor of Ben, who was a varsity soccer player.

Like the soccer and cross country teams, everyone who is a part of the Ben and Tim Foundation is a volunteer. “No one gets paid,” said Mr. Russell, “Even the prizes are all donated from local businesses.”

According to Mrs. Russell, Ben and Tim Day is a community event that everyone loves. The Russell family is happy that the community came together to put on this race.

“The first ten years we couldn’t hardly do anything; [Remembering Tim] was just so painful for us,” Mr. Russell said.

It was the class and cross country team of 1993 that came together to make Tim’s wish of a 5K race in Hershey a reality, the Russells explained.

“Tim would think it’s perfect; this is what he wanted,” Fricke said.

The Russells could only think of one thing to make Ben and Tim Day better: more people.
“It’s not just for soccer and not just for cross country, but we try to include everybody.” Mrs. Russell said, “I would like to see everybody come out, even if they can’t run or participate.”