Editorial: All internships Should Be Paid

Abigail Lee, Reporter

Every year, 500,000 to 1 million people work as unpaid interns in the US. A variety of reasons are behind this decision like the promise of a future position at the company they’re interning. However, many unpaid internships statistically hold no guarantee for the future and feed into the class divisions of the US.

Unpaid internships should not exist.

According to Fortune, a 2013 study found that “[college] students who had taken paid internships were nearly twice as likely to receive a full-time job offer as those who had taken unpaid internships.”

There is no point in working at a job for free that does not result in real benefits, especially when considering the price of working unpaid.

Many people gravitate towards expensive cities like New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles for work, including unpaid internships.  CNBC reported the average cost of living in Los Angeles for the summer is $9,506.

Some may be able to afford unpaid internships, but many have to sacrifice experience in their fields of interests for paying jobs.

The Atlantic said, “the problem is that the system works against class mobility. Only the comparatively privileged can afford to make the “investment” of accepting an unpaid internship.”

Unpaid interns can also face more potential dangers in the workplace.

According to ProPublica, “Most unpaid interns do not have workers’ rights. Without pay, interns aren’t considered “employees” under the Civil Rights Act, and laws enforced by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission do not apply to them.”

Although numerous states are working to establish laws protecting unpaid interns as employees, many remain where no change is happening. As a result, unpaid interns who experience workplace harassment are unable to seek retribution, such as collecting damages.

A potential solution for those who can’t afford unpaid internships can come from colleges and universities. The New York Times states, “campuses are using philanthropy and their own funds to subsidize internships at organizations that have a mission of social change or innovation.”

Donations from alumni and parents also go towards funding these positions. These programs allow students to gain experience without financially struggling. University of Chicago, Pace University, Colgate University, and others provide these opportunities.

However, not all colleges have subsidized internships. Contact your senators and representatives here and voice your opinion on unpaid internships.