Expression From A Farr: Sophomore Emily Farr Shows Her Personality Through Art

Té Burkholder, Reporter

A well-worn sketchbook waits in a backpack. It waits for its chance to shine. As the sound of the zipper signals for light to enter the depths of the canvas bag, the sketchbook is brought out. But this time, instead of being drawn on, something new happens: the sketches and art inside are displayed for others to see. The drawings are beautiful.

The artist thinks otherwise.

If anyone knows what it is like to show people something and be unhappy with it, sophomore Emily Farr is definitely an expert. From pencil and paper sketches to shaded marker pictures to watercolor masterpieces, her art carries one common factor in her eyes: imperfection.

Farr is one of many artists who think their works are unsatisfactory. Farr’s art teacher, Patricia Costello, said, “There’s blood, sweat, and tears that you put into your work…you get so invested in it that you can’t get past those mistakes you made.”

According to Farr, her source of inspiration to be an artist was likely the fact that her uncle and grandfather did art. Since she was little, Farr worked on art projects constantly. She said she even tried to do an art yard sale at one point, but no one bought anything except her mother.

Farr’s mother, Melissa Farr, describes her as an introverted person. Melissa said while Farr likes to be alone, she still enjoys being with her friends, and “she’s passionate about people and her pursuits, whether it’s artistic or musical.”

Today, Farr said the things about her works she likes best are the tools she used and the subject of the piece.

“I’ll like the person I’m drawing, but I won’t like the art,” Farr said. Farr attributes her dislike for her creations to her overly large expectations for it.

However, few agree that Farr’s art is terrible. According to Alina Zang, one of Farr’s closest friends, “She doesn’t let me see [her art] much, but it’s amazing.” Zang said she wished Farr had more confidence in her abilities.

Costello has high hopes for Farr’s future, and believes Farr could be incredibly successful in an artistic career.  Costello said, “I look at Emily’s art as emerging into her own style.”

Farr’s art style is often very close to realism, despite her numerous depictions of supernatural characters. Drawing inspiration from music, videos, roleplay style stories she writes with friends, and her own imagination, no one can guess what her next piece will be.

Costello said that an artist’s style typically, but not always, reflects their personality. “You can see people walk around on the street and there are some people that look the part [of an artist],” Farr said, “but they aren’t really artistic.”

In Farr’s case, Costello said while Farr’s style may not reflect her outward personality, it may reflect her inner self—the one she shows to her closest friends. Farr’s art is expressive, even though Farr herself is a very quiet and reserved person.

“I’ve been teaching 21 years, and I haven’t had anyone who really does that,” said Costello. For Farr, art is her way of expressing herself.

In the future, Farr plans on going into animation. “Originally, I wanted to be an art teacher, but I didn’t really want to be a teacher,” Farr said, “So I figured, I’ll be an animator.”

Sophomore Emily Farr works on her latest watercolor piece on May 15, 2019. The piece was part of an English assignment to illustrate the essence of the F. Scott Fitzgerald novel The Great Gatsby. (Broadcaster/Té Burkholder)