HHS Names Flucas and Tarkenton as March Student Athletes

Claire Sheppard, Reporter

HHS announced seniors Nyiem Flucas and Makayla Tarkenton as the Student Athletes of the Month for March. Flucas, a wrestler, and Tarkenton, a swimmer, both recently competed in the state championships this winter.

Flucas, the male Athlete of the Month, has been wrestling since he was ten years old; he plans on wrestling in college, although he does not know where yet.

He made it to states both his junior and senior year. Being a hard worker, Flucas said he has learned through wrestling that “you get what you earn.”

Contributing part of his success to his teammates and coaches, Flucas said, “We work together and pick each other up when we’re down. Coach Dee always tells me to have fun; I have learned that not everything is about wrestling… it’s more a family thing.”

Tarkenton, the female Athlete of the Month, has been swimming for six years and is committed to Ashland University where she will continue swimming.

Tarkenton qualified for states her junior year and competed in districts her senior year, where she won two gold medals.

Tarkenton said her coaches have had a big impact on her success also, “All of my coaches have encouraged me to do my best, and they give me advice throughout the season. In addition, Coach Greg has helped me achieve my goals by creating practices that will challenge me to become the best student athlete I can be.”

Both Flucas and Tarkenton have learned many important lessons through their sport. Tarkenton said, “through hard work and dedication, swimming has given me many memories that I will cherish, especially this year as a senior. Swimming has taught me a lot of lessons that I can use later in my life.”

Nyiem Flucas’s mother, Danielle Phillips, congratulates him following his match in sectional finals. Flucas won first place. (Submitted by Nyiem Flucas)