Top fashion trends in 2018

Ashlyn Weidman, Reporter

Throughout 2018 many new fashion trends appeared to the public eye. Anywhere from shoes to dresses certain styles have changed, and have been worn by teens throughout the world. Many people have differing ideas on what the top trend were, so here are some trends students said were their top 2018 picks:

“I think the biggest trend was athleisure,” said Ruby Mundok, a senior at Hempfield High School.

Athleisure is all about being comfortable while looking stylish, and is worn on the daily by high school students. Many celebrities have launched collections with this style like Beyonce, Carrie Underwood, Selena Gomez, etc. These collections from well known celebrities have helped the athleisure style launch to be popular in 2018.

“I really liked that people are bringing back those tiny retro sunglasses and the fanny pack trend,” said junior Akiva Brooks.

These accessories have been seen from the streets of Los Angeles to concerts at the Hersheypark Stadium. Celebrities are often spotted styling fanny packs and retro sunglasses together with their street wear looks, so that has caused teens to join in on the trend as well.

Following the comfortable trends that have been on the fashion scene this year, fuzzy jackets have been seen all throughout social media this year.

“Everyone has been wearing them this fall and winter,” said Jamie Easterwood, junior at HHS.

The jackets can be styled in many ways which allow students to get a quick and easy look.  Similar to Easterwood, sophomore Keeley Farrell said she enjoys the jackets because of their comfortable and warm elements for the winter weather.

In 2018 many 80s and 90s fashion pieces made a comeback, and it has been a common realization for many. Items like scrunchies, platform shoes, plaid skirts, animal prints, bomber jackets, etc. all made a return from the 90s in 2018.

“My mom always tells me I dress like her from when she was growing up, so I guess my favorite trend was the “mom” trend with 80s and 90s fashion,” said junior Mia Cooper.

One of the biggest comebacks from the clothing pieces above was scrunchies.

“They are the perfect way to add a cute touch to any outfit,” said sophomore Catie Reilly.

Brands like Urban Outfitters, Brandy Melville, Pacsun, etc. all sell scrunchies for affordable prices, so many teens choose to purchase these to add final touches to their look.

Besides the 80s and 90s another year’s style was also brought back from the past. This year was the 50s. Pieces from that era have been brought back and revamped for a more modern look.

“The simple patterns and elegant details make it a classic and timeless era for fashion,” said Sophomore Sarah Horn.

Junior Lauren Rodgers said Doc Marten boots were her favorite trend because of their easy ability to spice up any outfit. Many teens wore Doc Martens or any other clunky boot a lot throughout 2018. Celebrities like Gigi Hadid, Miley Cyrus, Chris Brown, and David Beckham have been seen wearing Doc Martens.

2018 has certainly been a year of many trends, both old and new, and 2019 is sure to be no different.